AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started the planning stages of my theater room and if I can just overcome the "wife factor," I hope to build an aweesome theater room. We have a large 20X22 Garage that we really don't use for anything but storage. I want to kill two birds with one stone and make a HT room and find a new home for my 100 gallon aquarium, which I think would look real cool built into the wall.

I am glad to have found this forum, as it will help me plan this baby right! I will post more as my plans progress. Any advice on how to handle the wife would be appreciated... She is fine with the conversion, but wants a "multifunction room," I want a dedicated room.

Thanks!

Ben

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,204 Posts
I found the key to the Wife Acceptance is a great picture.

My wife has a difficult time with converting 2d drawings or verbal descriptions into an image in her head.

If you can find picture of what you want to do it may work wonders.

I once said that I wanted to put sound insulation and fabric on the walls and she said no way. I printed out some pictures of Kirks Uptown Paridiso. I showed her and her reaction was that's exactly what we should do.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would suggest finding a high end AV store that has a nicely built HT theater... bring her there and let her experience the "wow" factor. That's how I firmly convinced mine...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you planning to build the aquarium into the wall inside the home theater? If so, you may want to re-think that idea if you are planning on making it a dedicated room.

I also had a large volume aquarium in my old home and found that it didn't fit well in a home theater. I had a saltwater set-up so your situation may be different than mine. First off, it is somewhat loud. I had wave makers and a skimmer running all the time and second was that they throw off a ton of light. In saltwater setups, as you know, they require a lot of light for corals and such. I had several hundred watts of light which I didn't want to turn off while watching a movie as to not ruin my cycle.

While this worked okay in my old multi-function 65" RPTV room, I am now planning a dedicated theater room with front projection (100+") in my new house (basement) and the aquarium will have to find a different home for the factors listed above.

Just some food for thought. Keep reading the forums and ask questions. There are tons of great people here willing to assist.

Have fun!

-T.Wells

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a rectangular bedroom that I plan to convert to a HT room. It is 10' 9" wide and the furthest back the seating could be would be about 14' althought we plan on being closer. I have most of my components picked out but need help deciding how to put seating into it. We don't like "theater" row seating, but prefer either comfy chairs, sofa or loveseat. My concern is that we won't be able to have enough seating. I think seating for min. 4 or 5 would be adequate as we would only need that much on occasion when we have friends over. Any ideas? I plan on using a 60" Sony SXRD and have been reading the threads on it for tv stand ideas, etc. thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I will try some of your suggestions. I may have to reconsider the aquarium, but it would look so cool! Anyway, I have put together some of my preliminary drawings. Let me know your thoughts...

see attached.

Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is that I have the aquarium in our living room right now that is wired with 7.1 sound, not much different than I would use in the dedicated room and have had it in there for about 2 years now, no problem. I may reconsider for lighing purposes. As I said, this is just a planning stage. I may well end up leaving the aquarium in the LR.

Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.