AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I am working on I guess version 3.0 of this room. I did have it running in rough form with a 96" 16:9 screen and Panny AE900 projector for awhile. Now I am planning to fully finish the room.

The room is 13'10" wide and 19'6" deep and is wired for 7.1 There is a dedicated A/V room for the hardware. I am planning on a Panasonic AE4000 which I plan on mounting on the back wall on a shelf. I am planning on a 120" or 128" 2.35:1 permanent screen (tape now marks 128" with additional markers for 16:9). I did have a riser in the back but planning on having a single sectional in back a few feet from the wall.

Here are my questions:

1. I am thinking I need more light than the 4 sconces (ignore the lit bulb there now). However, you can see there is a little room in between the joists for pot lights. I can put a row in front of the screen between the main trunks that run inside the framed area. What options beyond lowering the ceiling? BTW, I do plan to finish the ceiling in drywall (maybe 2 spaced layers for sound proofing).

2. Smart solutions for hiding the 2 steel poles?

3. 128" too large? Should I get a screen with some gain? I do plan on installing the projector then ordering the screen. The room is 100% light controlled (as you can see) but I plan on somewhat lighter colors on walls and ceilings but nothing reflective.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
If you look at my room, you'll see I have a similar setup to you as far as the sconces go. I have 4 sconces primarily in the corners. Each has a 100w equiv. CFL bulb in them. I would say that they offer enough light to make the room properly "lit" when the PJ is off (normal use, cleanup, etc.) But I made sure to find sconces that distribute a lot of light because I was concerned about lighting a large, dark area from the corners like this. i didn't want dark sconces that absorbed most of the light, or worse had excessive metal banding to block the light. Be aware taht a lot of sconces are designed to bounce the light up off the (supposedly white) ceiling in a room. But if you make the ceiling black, those sconces are going to do very little. Better to pick ones that broadcast the light right out into the room in that case.

With that said, the sconces aren't very elegant for use during a show (getting to your seat, intermission during a movie, etc.) For that I have 4 small cans above the seats that are on a remote dimmer. They do help in overall room lighting (trying to find a toy that slipped down between the seats, etc.) when used with the sconces, but they are most valuable in giving directed light right at the seating area.

Some of the smaller (3" or 4") recessed cans have pretty small enclosures that you should be able to squeeze in around that ducting. I would at least check them out at the local store.

Alternatively, track lighting on the underside of the ceiling is always an option.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1183349

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Since you show open space lower down your wall than your tape screen mock up may I suggest that consider a more square screen that will have extra height as well as the HD width?

I like to watch a lot of different content that has different native aspect ratios - old movies that are 3:1, old TV content that is 4:3 plus, of course, DVDs that run from the above to letterbox to 16:9 to the very wide angle newer movies.

Your PJ is going to have a 16:9 native aspect ratio so if/when you show content that is not 16:9 you are going to have scaling bands no matter what you do. I found that having a larger 4:3 screen (like most commercial cinemas) I can get a lot more image adjusting flexibility that I would have with a wide screen format screen.

I like gray screen material because it makes the scaling bands almost invisible compared to how they appear and distract the viewer on a bright, white screen.

I know I didn't address lighting cause our solution is a multi-purpose theater and game room so if we're watching a movie we want the room DARK but for more casual watching - like a football game we can still see fine with a few pinball games and neon lights working. Just like cats - all theaters are gray in the dark.

Just my 2 cents - Enjoy!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts