AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, looking for some input/feedback on what I have planned at my new house that I'm not in just yet so some things are subject to change.

Below are lists of what I have and what I need. Attached is a mock up (not to scale) of the room it will be going in, its a bit small but its what I have to work with. Note that I have not placed the sub in the mock up, "sub crawl" to come.

THANKS!!!!!

Main concerns:

Things I need:
  • Projector (Epson 5030UB? I like the specs)
  • Accoustically Transparent Screen and mounting option (NEED HELP!). Budget ??? Just shoot me some options.
  • Theater Seats (I can figure this out relatively easy)
  • Acoustic Treatments with REW measurements (which I'll do after I get everything else squared away)
  • Riser - Build myself and used this to help: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...struction/505237-riser-height-calculator.html
  • Speaker Risers (to place at proper levels)
  • Carpet (easy)
  • Wire installation (easy)
  • Some lighting arrangement but that can come later

Things I have:
  • Receiver - Denon AVR-2113ci
  • Center Channel - Polk Audio CSi5
  • L/R Mains/Surrounds - Polk Audio RTi8 x4 (overkill I know, but its what I have)
  • Sub - HSU VTF-3 MK4 (Again, overkill but its what I have)
  • Samsung 51" Plasma E8000 (Not entirely thrilled about using this for the theater room which is why I'm looking to projector ... but give your feedback accordingly with what you see here)
  • Bar equipment ... just thought I'd throw that out there!

·
Registered
39 Posts
As far as your screen size and seating placement goes: Getting two rows of seating (especially full recliners) is tight in 17'. For acoustics, it's nice to have a few feet between the back row and back wall (like you have done). However, I would move the back row back as far as you can go to the rear row to give you a few more feet of viewing distance. Do those doors swing in or out and can you switch them around if you need to?

Even 9 feet for the front row is up close and personal with a 124" screen. Some people don't mind being that close, but I would be more comfortable with something in in the 110" range. Seven feet viewing distance is just crazy for a 124" 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as your screen size and seating placement goes: Getting two rows of seating (especially full recliners) is tight in 17'. For acoustics, it's nice to have a few feet between the back row and back wall (like you have done). However, I would move the back row back as far as you can go to the rear row to give you a few more feet of viewing distance. Do those doors swing in or out and can you switch them around if you need to?

Even 9 feet for the front row is up close and personal with a 124" screen. Some people don't mind being that close, but I would be more comfortable with something in in the 110" range. Seven feet viewing distance is just crazy for a 124" 16:9 screen.
Exactly the type of information I am looking for here. Since the room can accommodate 124" that's what I started with but certainly don't have to go with it. Of course, the smaller I go the more benefit I get out of my projector with relation to fine detail, more light, etc. so I am certainly not against that. If I placed the back row say 2 feet from the rear wall (currently have it designed to be 4 feet) would that help and might I move the front row back say a foot? I had figured there would have to be at least 75" between the back of the first row and the back of the second fully upright to allow for full recline but as you said, I think that might be pushing it.

One door swings in (the rear) but I'll change that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
17' deep with an acoustically transparent screen AND two rows seems like a pretty tough sell. What about doing only 1 row?

To give you perspective - my old theater room was 15'Wx17'Lx8'H. I had a 133" screen (with lens) and fit two rows of seats; riser was 10" high, extended ~6' back from rear wall. My seats fully recline but only require ~4" of rear space. The front row was about 10' from the screen and I thought this was just about perfect; slightly large, but not overbearing. Second row was ~4" from rear wall and projector @ ~15.5'

I did not have an acoustically transparent setup so I was able to gain some distance between screen and front row. In the end. it was just right. All that said, I'd either do one row with speakers behind screen or two with speakers in front (though doors do come into question).

HTH!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing that I hadn't quit considered is just getting a sofa. I would have to push one end up against the far wall to allow a walkway but the room is small and I have to make due with what I've got. Right now its just my wife, 1 child, and myself. We will have 2 kids but I can get them bean bags lol. We don't entertain, much. So in reality I suppose I could go with a single row sofa style seating and allow me to open up my options for spacing, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tgrinch, you beat me to it with the single row idea! I'm really entertained by the acoustically transparent screen idea but I could be swayed ... for instance if I really want 2 rows of 2 ... I see your point, I could save a foot by not going acoustically transparent ... and probably save some money.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,996 Posts
You can DIY an acoustically transparent screen with fabric from Falcon or SeymourAV. I would go with one row of seating with the back at about 11 1/2 to 12 ft from screen. If you are having a gang over push it back a bit and throw some beach chairs or bean bags on the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts