AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of having our first house built and I would like to put a dedicated theater room in the basement and possibly a bar in some area of the basement as well. The problem is that I am very creatively impaired. I am attaching the basement floor plan here in the hopes someone will take mercy on me and give me some suggestions. There are a couple of things I can add. The screen size will be 120" coming from our previous house. There will also be a sliding door at the top left of the floor plan, we are doing the additional 2 feet bump outs on both sides. And perhaps what is challenging the most for me is the whole plan is flipped and will be on the opposite side. We have to put rough ins for the bar next week so this is why I am mainly asking right now. One last thing this is causing some great debate in our house but I am not opposed to doing a more open family style room but want to be able to achieve 7.1 surround sound. I know this is a big question to ask but hopefully someone will take pity on me.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are in the process of having our first house built and I would like to put a dedicated theater room in the basement and possibly a bar in some area of the basement as well. The problem is that I am very creatively impaired. I am attaching the basement floor plan here in the hopes someone will take mercy on me and give me some suggestions. There are a couple of things I can add. The screen size will be 120" coming from our previous house. There will also be a sliding door at the top left of the floor plan, we are doing the additional 2 feet bump outs on both sides. And perhaps what is challenging the most for me is the whole plan is flipped and will be on the opposite side. We have to put rough ins for the bar next week so this is why I am mainly asking right now. One last thing this is causing some great debate in our house but I am not opposed to doing a more open family style room but want to be able to achieve 7.1 surround sound. I know this is a big question to ask but hopefully someone will take pity on me.

Thanks
I would not build the den. You could mount your screen on that wall. You would still have an extra room in the back corner for anything you want. I have 2 rows of 3 seats in my @21' theater and it works out great. I would use the back wall opposite the screen for a full size bar and install a built in stand up bar with 3 bar stools in front of it with ac and usb. Our area gets quite full with people at the bar and the extra mini wall type bar can handle the over flow. You could then install your equipment in closet and store you bar items and snacks and etc. I would mount standard speakers with a dropped hanging device for your rears. This will give you a balanced 7.1 system. Good luck with your design.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the rooms are actually going to be there as we are having the basement unfinished. Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly you're saying put the theater where the den would be and make that an enclosed room correct? And on the opposite wall towards the top of the drawing your saying the bar should go there correct?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

Thanks
Is that black square in the center of the rec room a post ? If so, it really chops up the room, leaving barely 10' to any wall. And when you say there will be a glass door, will it be on the north wall or the west wall ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the black box is a post and yes the sliding glass door will be on the north wall towards the west side in that corner. Maybe the den area can be extended out more I just don't want it to look stupid...could the area next to the utilities be used. My wife wants a more open floor plan but I have always wanted a dedicated room.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Yea the black box is a post and yes the sliding glass door will be on the north wall towards the west side in that corner. Maybe the den area can be extended out more I just don't want it to look stupid...could the area next to the utilities be used. My wife wants a more open floor plan but I have always wanted a dedicated room.
In that case, and assuming the wall between the Den and the Rec Room doesn't need to exist, I would use the south wall where the Den is. I'd keep the bathroom so I'd have a 14'6" wide screen wall. Place a 150" screen on that wall and sell off the old 120". 150" will be visible from the bar area at the back of the Rec Room in a way that the 120" won't. I'd have one row of theater style recliners 12' away from the screen and a 36" tall counter top bar behind it with bar stool seating. You want theater and she wants family room, so you should get the recliners rather than sectional and she gets the open concept room. Between 4 recliners, 4 bar stools, and more seats at the rear bar, you can host a crowd if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts