AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Never had a projector but I'm remodeling and arranging my bedroom so was seriously considering a budget projector.

Bedroom is 11x17. ceiling mount is a requirement. There is a ceiling fan dead center.

Had some questions:

1. Short throw or no? I can use either option based on the measurements I took. standard projector would be almost directly above my head. Short throw would be in front of me and visible. will this be too distracting?? Will a standard budget projector be too noisy above my head??

2. Really have my eyes on the epson home cinema 2000 because of the cheaper and more universal 3d options, cheap bulbs, cheap price. I know as far as reviews/picture quality go there are several better budget options, especially the benq models. Is the quality difference that dramatic? This will replace my led tv for all things so bulb cost is troubling me the most (3d cost a distant second)

3. How big is too big for bedroom (don't get nasty! LoL)?? I'm thinking of getting a 100 inch screen that will fit perfectly over my bedroom windows and block out ambient light at the same time. Should I consider something smaller. Something larger?

4. I've been living off of built in tv sound in my bedroom for a long long time and have no problem with it as I'm certainly no audiophile. Any cheap receiver recommendations? Will the built in sound be close enough to tv sound??

Thank you for reading and your input!!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Which wall are you planning on projecting onto?

It sounds like you have very high ceilings in your bedroom. Does this mean the ceiling fan won't be in the way with a ceiling mounted projector? Typically a projector must be several inches above the top of the screen, so the ceiling fan must not fall into that light path.

The Epson 2000 is certainly a decent option. As is the BenQ W1070. All the cheaper models tend to be a bit noisier, but the Epson should be quieter than the DLP models it competes against.

So...

1. No, I would not go short throw. Short throw should only be used if necessary. Also, projectors directly overhead vent noise more to the front/back/sides, not straight down. So, directly overhead is the best place for a projector to help alleviate noise.

2. The 2000/2030 is nice, the W1070 is a bit better. Remember this... if you use the projector 4 hours a day, every day of the year (a lot!), then the lamp should last you over three years with the W1070. Save a quarter a day and you can buy a replacement lamp. Just worth considering that math into your troubled thoughts. :)

3. How far away will your eyes be from the screen. Typically about 10" of diagonal is typical for each foot of viewing distance. So a 120" diagonal for a 12' viewing distance is very comfortable for most. Small for others, and rarely considered to be too large.

4. The junky speakers inside are worse than most TVs are. Hit up Accessories 4 Less to pick up a refurb A/V receiver and some speakers there (or elsewhere) which will be far more satisfying. Maybe check your local Craigslist. But, A4L really has some good deals on receivers which handle HDMI properly.
ie: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...e-theater-system-w/5.1-speaker-package/1.html

There's a complete 5.1 system with receiver that supports all 3D formats and HD audio. $250.

More basic: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak....1-home-theater-receiver-from-ht-s3500/1.html
with: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...kbookshelf/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/1.html

I would go for the first setup and run the surround sound if you can. Use better speaker wire if you can run it (ask on these forums if you need more guidance!)

The 2000 from Epson isn't a bad projector for general overall viewing. It's not as 'home theater' as some models, but certainly is respectable, and in a less than ideal room, will serve almost anyone very well.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have the Epson HC2000 with 2633 hours on it and I just bought a second one for $549 this weekend at Amazon. Check the Epson throw distance calculator and see if it will work for you. On fan noise, ours is directly above our seats and we never notice it. On sound, get some kind of cheap AVR and speakers. We started withcomputer speakers - Logitech Z623s (200watt THX 2.1 sound) which ran about $106 at the time and even in our larger room it provided plenty of sound for movies.

If you have a wall you can paint, just paint a screen and save the money. Projector central has painting a screen for under a $100 and it is what I did.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...a-game-rooms/1527055-steve-s-cheap-build.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that helps a ton.

My ceiling is a normal second floor bedroom (8-10ft?). Ceiling fan lighting might be a problem but the blades won't be. I can also move the projector left/right about a foot to accomodate and re center the screen. Can't imagine that a foot would be a big deal considering the size of screen.

rectangle room

Window on one short side. Bed right in front of it dead center. Looking across while in bed I have a door at the left end of the long wall and also a door at the top right short wall. Projector would be directly above the bed straight across so viewing distance will be about 12-13 ft.

I can also put my bed on the exact opposited side and have the projector point at the window (screen would cover it).

What do you think?

Sorry at work. If it helps I can draw a quick diagram of my current setup later this evening.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For the record, the Epson HC2000 is still $549 at Amazon under more buying choices verses $655 for the BenQ W1070, but both are great values right now. You might have to wait several weeks to get the Epson, but it is the lowest price ever according to camelcamel.com.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
The Epson 2000 is certainly a decent option. As is the BenQ W1070. All the cheaper models tend to be a bit noisier, but the Epson should be quieter than the DLP models it competes against.
First of all thanks for all the free advice you give out here in the forums.

I notice that you recommend the BenQ W1070 without hesitation. My DLP knowledge is pretty old....I tried a rear projection back in 2005 and it was rainbow city. Since then I'm used to seeing things along the lines of 'this is a great choice if you don't see rainbows'. Do you think the six segment color wheel used in the W1070 has mostly solved this issue?

Just curious. I went SXRD and I'm somewhat surpised I did because all I knew about the tech was nearly ten years old as well....'great picture until the optical block melts'. I'm still a bit surpised to hear that SXRD projectors are reliable.

Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I notice that you recommend the BenQ W1070 without hesitation. My DLP knowledge is pretty old....I tried a rear projection back in 2005 and it was rainbow city. Since then I'm used to seeing things along the lines of 'this is a great choice if you don't see rainbows'. Do you think the six segment color wheel used in the W1070 has mostly solved this issue?
No, if you are really RBE sensitive, then the W1070 will show the RBE effect, but for most people it isn't severe. I see it, but I don't go looking for it and movies look very good on it. Cheaper DLP projectors tend to look better than the LCD competition at (about) the same price. The W1070 is one of the only models to have a 4x-6x color wheel with RGB/RGB segments in it, so it's a class leader for what it delivers and is the best looking projector under $1,500 on the market with very good overall versatility. But, it's not perfect. So, the potential for RBE issues does exist for a very limited few.

Just curious. I went SXRD and I'm somewhat surpised I did because all I knew about the tech was nearly ten years old as well....'great picture until the optical block melts'. I'm still a bit surpised to hear that SXRD projectors are reliable.
From what I understand, this was mostly a Sony rear projection TV issue. Sony projectors which have used LCoS have been very good, and JVC has used LCoS as well for years without issue. Epson's newest technology is their take on LCoS as well. I think of the technologies used, DLP, LCD, and LCoS, it is LCoS which is the newest of the three. It's also the priciest, so the cheap LCoS projector is the $2,000 (or $2,500) Sony HW40ES model.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Very informative. I can see rainbows on a plasma (My ST60 was much worse than my F8500 in this regard) so DLP is totally out and I don't like 3 Chip LCD due to screen door so LCoS was the best for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are great thank you so much for the informative responses. I checked the calculator and it seems it's going to be very close to the fan but I should be able to move the projector and screen about a foot left or right so I'm banking on being okay either way.

Sooo. No short throw. Ceiling mount will work. I will put it above my head. Getting the epson 2000 ( thank you for telling me it was still available at the cheaper price!!).

Seems like a good starting point. I'll probably be back in this section asking for advise when I f up the ceiling mount install and get stuck with keystone lmao.

Adios guys thanks again everyone (including the thread hijacker lol jk)!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to consider bidding on that But doubt I'll get it anywhere around 100 considering the street price of 300+ ... really don't want to spend much on the Mount.

You bring up a good point. Been scouring amazon for dirt cheap mounts. Any features I should look for that you guys think are particularly important/helpful???

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I'll have to consider bidding on that But doubt I'll get it anywhere around 100 considering the street price of 300+ ... really don't want to spend much on the Mount.

You bring up a good point. Been scouring amazon for dirt cheap mounts. Any features I should look for that you guys think are particularly important/helpful???

AV_I suggested one to me a few weeks ago that was $100 Buy Now. Shipping was $13.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts