AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so let me start by saying that I am very adept with PC hardware but I've never delved into the realm of rackmount. Here's what I want for features:
  • Higher than 480p DVD viewing:
  • HDTV (OTA) Watching/recording
  • Web Surfing/Email/whatever I may want to do pc-wise
  • 3D-Gaming (if possible)

So I want to do this all in a 2U case. Does a 2U case exist that I can have both AGP and PCI (ribboned) risers going at once? Is AGP that important to me since 3D gaming is the lowest priority? I think top-of-the-line PCI cards are getting scarce.

I'm thinking about P3 1ghz - 512MB RAM - 100/120 MB HDD. However, Abit makes a very nice A7V (athlon) motherboard which has tons of nice features including on-board digital audio (tos/link out too!) but unfortunately, no serial ports.

I still can't tell from reading this forum if people prefer nvidia or ATI boards for dvd/hdtv display. Any more insight here?

Also, how about wireless keyboards/mice? I've used logitech's but I hate the keyboard layout.

HDTV cards are kind of new, should I wait and see which one shakes out to be the best? I can always add it later I suppose.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When you say 3D gaming are you refering to generic games or 3D with shutter / analglyf glasses ??

Depending on output device 3D is hard to get right with a progressive display (as far as I can tell)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.