AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found the manufacturer in china for elite screens and he said they had 3.5 gain screens that are acoustically transparent and I run the numbers on a throw calculator for a jvc-nx5 and it seems to work. The manufacturers name is XY screens. What would be the best projector and screen material for a 200inch acoustically transparent screen because I want the real movie theater experience. I will be putting 4 devestators and LCRS behind the screen ty.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you have watched movies on a 3.5 gain screen and are OK with the hotspots and sparkles, then go for it. Just be prepared for disappointment. IMHO, anything over 1.3 gain is too much, and at 200" 16:9, that will give you about 8-10 fL, which isn't even close to enough for HDR content. It is even weak for SDR, even if a completely blacked out room. Any woven screen, no matter the advertised gain, will be under 1.0 gain. Any vinyl microperf that has decent uniformity and color accuracy is going to cost you in the $3-10k range for a basic fixed frame screen at that size.

Frankly I wouldn't even attempt 200" with anything less than 3000 calibrated lumens. That means DLP, which comes with it's own set of compromises.

I struggled for 2 years and spent WAY more than I ever thought I would spend chasing a "large" screen that actually performs well with all content. My screen is 150" wide 2.35:1 (about 163" diagonal). For 16:9 content this is close to a 130" diagonal screen. And it is too big for good HDR without really good tone mapping and some screen gain. I'm running a Severtson 1.3 gain (about 1.15 gain in reality) microperf with a JVC RS2000 (N7) projector and a Paladin DCR lens. With a fresh bulb, I am happy with the HDR, but every so often I long for another few hundred lumens. After ~2000 hours, I changed the bulb just to get back to full brightness. The JVC's tone mapping is second only to expensive external processors and does an amazing job, but that's with a 150" wide scope screen, at 200" 16:9 you would have half the light I have, and it just wouldn't be enough. FYI, my screen cost around $3500, which is half of what the same screen in Stewart would have cost me at the time. I feel I got away cheap. Woven screens could have saved me a lot of money, but at the cost of 20-40% of my light.

There are people who do DIY AT screens in that size range and claim they are happy with it. I can't see how even with the most aggressive tone mapping you could be happy with 10fL for HDR. Personally I would NEVER do more than 1.3 gain, I am already sensitive to the little gain I have. Bottom line is, screens larger than 120" require a lot of money or a lot of compromise to make work. If you are going to go that big, don't bother wasting money on a JVC N series because it isn't going to work, just switch to one of the really bright laser DLP projectors and forget about good contrast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts