AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all,

I finally got my trees cut down in my backyard (for a different reason) and I should now have "line of sight" to get DTV.

I currently have Comcast HD with DVR, then a couple of the standard boxes around the rest of the house.

Just wondering if anyone out there that "did the switch" was happy with the decision or regretting it?

I know that a big difference is that I will be loosing the "On Demand", but I don't really use that anyways (Netflix is better :) )

Also, if there is anyone from the boston area viewing this post, can you get "NESN" and "NESN HD" through DTV? That would pretty much be a deal breaker if I can't...Need my Sox in HD!

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Compare prices and channels, if they are similar, I'd stick with Comcast for the time being. Once the new sats go up and they expand their HD package you may want to consider switching depending how the roll out goes.

Check this link to see what RSN's are available in your zip code - http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P3000004

If you are using Comcast for Internet, your bill will go up $15 a month for dropping TV service also.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoAce10 /forum/post/0

Also, if there is anyone from the boston area viewing this post, can you get "NESN" and "NESN HD" through DTV? That would pretty much be a deal breaker if I can't...Need my Sox in HD!

Thanks very much in advance!

Go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P3000004 plug in your zip code to see what RSN's are available to you. I tried a Boston city zip code and got:

FOX Sports Net New England (Ch. 620)

Boston Celtics (HD Available)

Connecticut Sun

New England Revolution

New England Sports Network (Ch. 623)

Boston Bruins (HD Available)

Boston Red Sox (HD Available)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Matt!

ok, DTV definitely has NESN HD...So one complication out of the way.

Yes, I use Comcast for the internet...But you can get the comcast service through EarthLink for the same price without having the comcast cable...My father does it...He has dish network and has comcast broadband through EarthLink for the $45 a month.

I pay about $100 per month on cable...And the package that I picked out from DTV was going to be $69 (plus taxes) per month...So that is a pretty decent savings...

And Comcast just told me that, just because they want to, they will be removing my "bundle discount" (Cable + Internet).

That is exactly why I want to switch...that kinda crap :) Raising prices for the heck of it...removing channels from my packages but not lowering my price...It is getting ridiculous!

:) My ranting is over :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rad. thanks! I did do that from Matt's post and yes...Nesn HD is available

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, actually I just checked over at Verizon Fios...Is that basically the same as Comcast Cable, just running through Fiber Optical Cable? Seems like it has the same box (HD DVR and all)...I mean if Verizon Fios is better than Comcast, I will just hold off on DTV and go with that for now...

How is the HD reception with the FIOS? Same compression as the comcast coax cable?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Didn't know FIOS was an option, seriously take a look at it. Fiber has a ton of bandwidth, you won't run into over compressed and/or down rezzed channels like you would with Directv.

They use Motorola DVR's running MS software by the way.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...I just remembered that we are getting offered it in our area...Took a look at the site and it looks good.

They also offer DTV...which is why it made me think that the "cable" they offer is just comcast coming through the Fiber Optic cable.

I just hate the comcast box that I have now...It locks up all the time and has the major delay like I mixed it up :) But that might be just the OS that is running the box I guess.

So the HD pic coming from the fiber optic cable is going to better than what is coming through the coax I assume? But obviously not as good as the OTA signal that I am getting.

If they are going to give me the same channel lineup as what I have with Comcast now, I think I will just go with Verizon.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/0

If you are using Comcast for Internet, your bill will go up $15 a month for dropping TV service also.

Keep the basic (limited) locals. It'll equate to the same price as internet + no cable but you'll at least get your locals as a lifeline/backup in case something screwy happens to your satellite and it won't cost you any more.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop /forum/post/0

Keep the basic (limited) locals. It'll equate to the same price as internet + no cable but you'll at least get your locals as a lifeline/backup in case something screwy happens to your satellite and it won't cost you any more.

Good option though the price for basic locals can vary from place to place, mine run around $17 a month now that Comcast raised the price. I know it's only $2 more a month but it's annoying Comcast is hitting me up another $24 a year for something I may use once or twice a year.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/0

Good option though the price for basic locals can vary from place to place, mine run around $17 a month now that Comcast raised the price. I know it's only $2 more a month but it's annoying Comcast is hitting me up another $24 a year for something I may use once or twice a year.

This is actually a good suggestion. This could also potentially goet you the locals in HD directly from Comcast as they are included with the Basic Service. Saves you from having to put up a separate antenna to get the HD locals. Looking into this myself as well for the Boston area.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknopath /forum/post/0

This is actually a good suggestion. This could also potentially goet you the locals in HD directly from Comcast as they are included with the Basic Service. Saves you from having to put up a separate antenna to get the HD locals. Looking into this myself as well for the Boston area.

It's how I get my locals in HD. I just have basic (limited/locals) cable and an internet connection through Comcast. Everything else I either rent/buy on DVD or use Apple TV to get.

I had a similar issue with Comcast where I just didn't feel like I was getting $90+ (just cable and 1 box and 1 DVR - internet not included in that price) worth of entertainment from it. Granted, not really Comcast's fault - I was mainly watching 2-3 shows per week. Most TV painfully sucks now. Anyway, I cut back to the locals/internet deal with Apple TV and it has worked well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.