AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning the trip up to Canada on Thursday to upgrade my speakers. I currently am running Paradigm Monitor 7s v2 for the fronts, a CC370 for the center and 2 atoms for the rears. The place where I purchased these from (Live Wire Audio) has a return policy, that lets you upgrade within a year of your purchase to another Paradigm line. I am looking at the Paradigm Reference Studio 80's for fronts, the Studio cc for the center, and the Studio 20s for the rears. My question to you folks is, do you think a Marantz SR7000 will be enough to power this setup? Someday I plan on getting an amp. Also, Will I notice a huge difference? Any help would be great. Thanks again,

Fred

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 7000 is rated at 100 w x 5. I ran the Studio 60's, CC and ADP rears with a Denon 3200 rated at 85 W, 20 hz - 20 kHz into 8 ohms, and they worked just fine, for ID4, Matrix, U 571 and other earth movers

I would reccommend A/B ing Studio 60's and the 80's. I found the 80's not to be as good as the 60's in the mid-range, probably because the 8" mid driver is too large. However, others have disagreed.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DenisT, thank you for your reply.I will be sure to test the 60's out out. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Yes, I highly recommend foregoing both the 60s and the 80s. I considered all of those speakers along with the 40s and personally found that I liked the 40s the best. If you are crossing them over with an excellent sub; they really shine! The bass response is tight and fast. Many people on this forum swear they are the star of the lineup. If you go with the 40s, you could then upgrade your rears to 40s as well and exactly match your fronts and rears as I did! Bonus! I just was jamming on it this morning. After almost 1 year of ownership, I am still completely satisfied. Try them out while you're up there and let us know what you go with.

reaper

·
Registered
751 Posts
I also like the 60's better than the 80's... But.... If the bank account allows, try out the 100's!!! With the proper amplification, the 100's are amazing! I also liked the 40's, but preferred the 100's... In either case, the differences (to my ears) are relatively small, as they all share a familial sound and are all very pleasing to me.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
When I auditioned the Paradigms, I felt the same way. It was either the 40's or 100's. They were both excellent. Those 100's really suck up the power though. Try thunking the cabinets. They are absolutely dead.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your help guys. I went up to Windsor on Thursday(wow was it cold). While I was there, I listened to the whole line of Reference, OK not the actives, because they didnt have any. I started with the 20's. Wow I was stunned at what an improvement this was over my previous pair(atoms). Even the friend that got to come along noticed a huge difference, and he is running bose.:) OK so then I auditioned the 40s and 60s together, and they were both fantastic speakers, but when I saw those 80s, my jaw dropped. Its a good thing I took my moms suv up there or I would have been screwed. The man put the 80s on and I was speachless. Damn do these sound good, I said. Another benefit of the 80s is that I can get by untill I get either a servo 15 or a SVS sub, because I have an Infinity and I dont know if that will cut it with my new setup. I picked the 80s, because, I loved the way they sounded, and I guess because of there size, because the monitor 7s didnt look right next to my 55907. I then auditioned the Reference Center Channel. Theres a huge difference between the reference studio CC and the CC370. If you think I am kidding, go to your local Paradigm dealer and compare the 2. So I was all ready to go, and he asked me if I wanted the stands for the 20's. I went into the speaker room, and tried to tip over the stands, and they wouldnt budge. These things were very heavy, and also cheaper in Canada too. So I leave a happy camper, and Go to a fast food place called Harvys, and Got some poutine( I make a point of it every time I go to Canada). I got to the border, got my 7%tax back and was on my way. I got to the border and Of corse, "can you please pull to the left". I am 22 so I wasnt suprised. While my car was getting inspected, the guy noticed they were speakers and he said "those are decent speakers, but I run Bose myself". I bit my lip, and chuckled to myself. I didnt want to say anything, because he probably ripped apart my car, as well as the possibility of a cavity search:eek: . No thank you. So I got home, and I will probably set these up today, and calibrate my system again with Avia and my little SPL meter. Thanks again guys for all of your help. Oh yea, when the salesmans' assistant was inspecting my monitor series speakers( I traded them in for credit) he came out and said" The speakers are ok, theres no anthrax on them. What a moron. :rolleyes:

Fred

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Fred,

if i can ask,

whats the off the shelf price for the studio 80's and the studio cc.

also-where exactly is Live Wire. i live in Buffalo and have been contemplating a trip up for these for months now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what it sounds like, you did not have to pay any duty on the speakers when you crossed the border. I know there are some items which are duty free (like wood furniture for personal use). Are speakers (or electronics) duty free?

Also, did you find the prices "US adjusted" or does the exchange rate make em a bargain? I guessing it does, since you went to Canada to buy them, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
From what it sounds like, you did not have to pay any duty on the speakers when you crossed the border. I know there are some items which are duty free (like wood furniture for personal use). Are speakers (or electronics) duty free?
Thanks to NAFTA, pretty much anything that is "MADE IN CANADA" is duty free to the US and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like Ed said, there is no duty at the border, and if you are a US citizen, you get all of the taxes back from your purchase. Also for around the price of the monitor series in the US, you can pick up the reference series in Canada. Great deals to be had up north, so if your in the market, check it out.

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.