AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm modifying my existing PC into a HTPC to work with the new Panny plasma. I will of course be connecting via DVI. Can you look over my laundry list of parts and see if I'm thinking this through correctly before I spend the cash. Thanks!

1. DVI-D cable to go from 9800 pro to Plasma

2. Remote MX-500 remote control

3. USB IRman with GIRDER

4. Theatertek for DVD playback

5. DSCALER for TV watching

6. Leadtek 2000TV PCI tvTuner card

7. Optical Audio out on the motherboard for AC-3 into the receiver

Anything I'm missing, forgetting, or any suggestions for improving it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
depends on what you also plan on doing.. what is your comp specs?? do you plan on timeshifting?? with the costs of dvd+rw's down like they are pick one of them up as well..btw the 3000 will work with dscaler but it takes some work.. if you have low proc power then id suggest a capture card that has hardware encoding.. such as the haupage 250

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a watercooled P4 2.4 @3.11GHZ, 9800pro watercooled and overclocked like mad, 200GB WD Hard Drive, 1 gig Corsair XMS DDR 433. It's no slug heheee..... DVD burning too costly for now, maybe later, so that wasn't on my list, but I almost forgot I don't have a DVD drive so that should have been added to my list, I'm getting a cheap black one from New Egg. Anything else and thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
you can get dvd+-rw for around 99 bucks. they will get cheaper but hey why not get it now for the backups.. ;-) i should have waited since i paid 349 for my dvdrw

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 3K for the plasma, wife has me on a VERY tight budget for HTPC (heck wouldn't even approve 600 for new HTPC) Had to take my gaming rig and cannabilize it to make HTPC. Probably not many water cooled HTPCs out there, he he.... As it is it's costing me 200 dollars to make the box a HTPC and half of that is just for the remote (MX-500). Thanks for the advice though, have been here 6 months now and hadn't realized DVD burners had gotten so cheap in the states. Cool, but I gotta stick with the 35 dollar Samsung DVD from NewEgg. Ciao........

PS I got the IRMAN, I hope it works well as it was the only thing on my list that I was a bit undecided upon.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Why IRman over USB-UIRT?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
didnt notice you were in italy.. anyway no reason to not use it for gaming as well.. i mean yu do still have the same equipment ;-).. do you already have the plasma?? have you thought about an x1?? or some of the other fp's??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Galileo2K- cost basically. Told ya I gotta go cheap on this one. IRMAN was 35 dollars shipped (They got a special deal for APO addresses like mine. Guess they're into military appreciation.Cool) USB IRT shipped was like 63 dollars and as far as I could tell they do they exact same thing, one's just a serial connection, the other USB. Am I mistaken on this one, if so please enlighten me but I already placed the order so it's probably too late anyway.

pen25- Well, I love to game and the plasma should be in my hands today or tomorrow. What's an X1? I'm eagerly awaiting half life 2 but love BF1942 , (used to be a helluva Quake2 player), Q3 is OK, UT2K. But I was kinda worried about gaming on the plasma. Seems like I read here you need to set the custom res to something like 856X480 to get true 1 for 1 mapping to the ED 6UY plasma. Not a problem for dimple desktop and 2D apps, but can a game also be run at these resolutions? I'm not so sure and haven't heard anything on it. What's the story? Ciao

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why dont you sell your 9800pro and get an 9800pro all-in-wonder. So you dont have to bother with an additional cost of remote controls and TV tuner cards.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Why dont you sell your 9800pro and get an 9800pro all-in-wonder. So you dont have to bother with an additional cost of remote controls and TV tuner cards.
Some people prefer the better quality available in other capture or input cards. The All-in-Wonder cards' Rage Theater or Theater 200 video capture chip is inferior in some ways to the Philips and Conexant chips used by some other solutions.

The All-in-Wonder cards do come with one of my favorite remotes, thought. :) Fortunately the Remote Wonder is easily available seperately, and they've been going very cheaply on eBay these days.

ATI's software, though, is great for most casual users; it's just that many people sort of "outgrow" what ATI's software and drivers are capable of if they get more involved with quality capping. But anyone who just wants a PVR TiVo replacement *could* get along nicely with an All-in-Wonder.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said before, most bang 4 buck was the goal here. 9800 was already installed in my PC and modded for watercooling, not easy to sell anymore. Remember I am in Italy and need a PAL tuner for my TV card. The US

AIW doesn't do this. In Italy the PAL 9600AIW nor 9800AIW does not exist yet. I have the MX-500 remote so the AIW remote was not an issue. So I decided to keep the current video card and just add in a deciated TV card.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to get an AC-3 stream off the optical out port of a motherboard (IT7MAX2 v2) realtek audio chip. Is it automatic with my DVD software. My receiver's gonna sync on this right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.