AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of having plans drawn up for new home construction with a dedicated home theater and am hoping to get some advice from those with previous builds on how much space to reasonably allocate. As with many others I am balancing things with my wife (and with the rooms for my kids that need to go in the basement). She knows a dedicated theater is really important to me - but she is greedy for all the other space and so I need to plan a size that will meet my needs without much excess. I will be using a design consultant for the space down the road. It will be a basement space with 10ft ceilings. I'm hoping to have comfortable seating for 8 (2 rows of 4). Any recommendations for how much space to set aside and what dimensions are idea? Thanks so much for any input.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
10' ceilings will be great.

Look for space with no windows, no support poles, and minimal beams. Make sure all duct work and plumbing is recessed in the joists.

Look through other build threads for inspiration and initial planning cues. For example, Tnedator has an Erskine plan (Bacchus Palace) with 2 rows of 4:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1648321-bacchus-palace-build-thread-erskine-group-designed-constructed.html

I'd use that as a minimum for space allocation. When in doubt, go a little bigger... the walls shrink in once you start doing hat channel, DD, sound treatments, riser steps, etc.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,970 Posts
18 x 24.5+ would be nice for two row of 4

I can't state strong enough that you need to take Clarence's words to heart. Subcontractors see a nice open space with a high ceiling and they get sloppy in the placement of ducts and pipes. If the room is to be clear of these items along with electrical control panels, sump pumps, drain stacks etc. it needs to be stated in the plans and written into the contract you have with the builder. don't take anyone's word that it will be taken care of, get it in writing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18 x 24.5+ would be nice for two row of 4

I can't state strong enough that you need to take Clarence's words to heart. Subcontractors see a nice open space with a high ceiling and they get sloppy in the placement of ducts and pipes. If the room is to be clear of these items along with electrical control panels, sump pumps, drain stacks etc. it needs to be stated in the plans and written into the contract you have with the builder. don't take anyone's word that it will be taken care of, get it in writing.
Hey thanks for the responses. I'll certainly be making sure the space is as ideal as possible. Big: you ever been to Canada? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts