AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best anamorphic lens can I get for 1000 bucks?

I'm planning to buy Mitsubishi hc4000 or Epson 8350.

Also planning to get a Either Monoprice/Carada-Pricision series 120 inch 2:35:1 Screen. Depend which fit the bill.

Please let me know what accessories I need to get to install the lens. Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Forget it at that price! A high quality cylindrical lens is going to cost you at least $4K. Anything less is going to degrade your PQ.

Your only hope is to find a quality used lens from a seller who is willing to meet your price.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede
For that budget I think you should use the hc4000 native 2.35:1 ratio instead of using a lens.
+1

You just tell the Mits you have a 2.35 screen and then zoom a scope film to fit. When you select 16:9 the Mits will downscale (shrink) the image to fit the height of the screen. A very nice CIH solution on a budget. All reports are that the scaled 16:9 PQ remains very good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark
+1

You just tell the Mits you have a 2.35 screen and then zoom a scope film to fit. When you select 16:9 the Mits will downscale (shrink) the image to fit the height of the screen. A very nice CIH solution on a budget. All reports are that the scaled 16:9 PQ remains very good.
Just wanna make sure, but will there be any overspill by using the HC4000 native 2.35:1 ratio?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead
Will there be any overspill by using the HC4000 native 2.35:1 ratio?
Shouldnt be much consider its dlp tech. An other option is of course Panny 4000. With its smart optical zoom that adjust automaticly between 2.35 and 16:9 sources on CIH screen. The advantage is that you dont scale anything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede
Shouldnt be much consider its dlp tech. An other option is of course Panny 4000. With its smart optical zoom that adjust automaticly between 2.35 and 16:9 sources on CIH screen. The advantage is that you dont scale anything.
So there are no scaling meaning there are no pixel lost with the Panasonic Pt-ae400u???

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead
So there are no scaling meaning there are no pixel lost with the Panasonic Pt-ae400u???
No loss, 16:9 movies uses the entire 1920*1080 panel. 2.35:1 movies zoom so it uses about 1920*810 (+- depending on movie) of its panel on a 2.35:1 screen.

So BDs doesnt need to be scaled since they are 1080 for 16:9 and 810~ for 2.35:1 movies.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Look for a used Panamorph UH480. Look and call around you may find one for $2k or less. Uh380's I've seen for $1k. That's the best you can do. Good lenses command a hefty price.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead /forum/post/20906381

Okay guys I'm planning to get a Carada CinemaScope screen paired with a Mitsubishi hc4000. I have to do the poorman route lol.

I have a Carada also and am thrilled with zooming. After using a lens that degraded the pq, I don't consider zooming a poorman route at all. Just make sure tou surround the screen with black velvet to absorb the black bars light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.