AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's a puzzler for you guys. I've got the Panasonic TH-42PWD3 plasma. I'm using Expressvu to get the HD US network programming. I'm watching Once and Again (wife's favorite show) on Friday night and I notice that there is a rectangular overlay of some shade of green in the upper left section of the screen (covering about 1/6 of the entire screen). Pretty significant problem. Since I have more than one source running through the RGBHD input (DirecTV, DVD, and Expressvu), I know that the other video sources work fine. So I figure I have a bad Expressvu receiver. Now here's the odd part: Once and Again ends and Expressvu switches to CBS HD. The green panel is gone. Picture is pristine once again.

Add all this up and I'm clueless, except to guess that if ABC broadcast 720p, either the Boston feed was odd that night (I wouldn't think so, since that seems to be an impossible transmission problem to have) or somehow my plasma screen is having a problem downconverting the 720p signal, although it downconverts 1080i with no problem.

Anyone who can solve this gets into the weird question hall of fame. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Bill - I have the same gear and saw no such problem.

Question, though, in your mentioning of ABC and their use of 720p. Did you change the 6000's HDTV output to 720p to view the show?

Since the Panasonic is limited to 480p, I never mess with the HDTV setting controlling this and leave it at 1080i just to be compatible with the bevy of CBS material.

If you have not been changing this setting it may be worth a shot in the interests of science.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Patrick,

I was very surprised to see a post much like mine in the HDTV programming forum, and at least half a dozen people have mentioned that they saw the same green panel, which apparently is only showing up on indoor scenes. And it's also apparently not just on this show--several people mentioned "Alias" as another one having problems. Your suggestion is excellent and I think that I will watch the show on Friday as usual; then, if I see the problem, switch the output and see if it changes anything. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.