AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'll have to admit...Hearing the same speaker system played AB'd between an Adcom 555 and a high end AVR showed that there is no substitute for a great AMP, thus my desire to get one...If you disagree that's fine but I'm not here for arguments on this topic.

What I am here for is some advice. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V661 running my HT system and I am bit disapointed when I try to have fun with 2.1 channel stereo and music, movies for the most part are good. So therefore I was thinking of going to ebay and picking up an old Adcom 545 or 555 to power my mains for some serious 2 channel listening (also thinking of upgrading my mains to but that is another topic). I am of course assuming that the RX-V661 is no match for the 555 and probably goes the same for the 545, if this incorrect please let me know in a polite manner.

Anyway, would this cause a problem if I wanted to watch movies in 5.1? Would the mains sound awkward or overpowering if I was powering them off the Adcom and the rest off the AVR?

Mains are:

6 0hms

84db

200 watt max recommended.

Mains i want to upgrade to

8 Ohms

87DB

250 watt max recommend.

Center channel and surround speakers are from same company and have same tweeter and driver materials. So all speakers are sonically/timbre matched.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 /forum/post/14303093

Would the mains sound awkward or overpowering if I was powering them off the Adcom and the rest off the AVR?

Short answer---no. Speaker setup should adjust appropriately for levels and also EQ if available in that Yammy.

With your current speaker specs I would want to add in an amp pronto.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/14303413

Short answer---no. Speaker setup should adjust appropriately for levels and also EQ if available in that Yammy.

With your current speaker specs I would want to add in an amp pronto.

For the sake of saving dollars do you think I could get by nicely with 100 watts from the Adcom 545?

Thanks,

Dan.

BTW..NICE HT setup. That Zenith has some good black levels, real nice. I have a panny 50pz700U. Aperion Speakers, PS3 and of course a Yamaha RX-V661. I'm comtemplating on whether to upgrade the amp first or upgrade to a new set of tower speakers with similar specs..I think I'll get the towers first, those bookshelves are just too small.

Here's my toys...
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/NewBoxes.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Adcom is an incredible deal for the money. the 545 considering your mains efficiency is too small. I Have the 555-1, 555-2, and a pair of 565's. I Prefer the bass in version 2 to version 1, but if the deal was sweet the 1 will work. I was visiting a friend in houston and I bought the 565's @ a swap meet, the guy told me the caps had to be replaced due to leakage which can cause major damage and he said that's an issue with the 565. When I got back from vacation I pulled the covers on all my amps to check for leaks. I have several friends with nice receivers that swore that they had no use for an amp. I brought them the 555-1 and said I'll be back in a month. Both didn't want to give'm back, & wound up buying their own on e-bay. By adding a amp your other speakers should play better because of the reduced current load from not driving the mains. If that doesn't satisfy you - you can always pick up a 5- channel used. I bought a Marantz MM-9000THX 170 or 150 watt x 5 for under 500 on e-bay to drive the rears.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also- consider parasound, rotel, b&k, sunfire, & others in the 200 watt + range. All can be had for a good deal on the used market. I even get them for almost nothing @ pawn shops, garage & estate sales!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 /forum/post/14303473

For the sake of saving dollars do you think I could get by nicely with 100 watts from the Adcom 545?

Thanks,

Dan.

BTW..NICE HT setup. That Zenith has some good black levels, real nice. I have a panny 50pz700U. Aperion Speakers, PS3 and of course a Yamaha RX-V661. I'm comtemplating on whether to upgrade the amp first or upgrade to a new set of tower speakers with similar specs..I think I'll get the towers first, those bookshelves are just too small.

Here's my toys...
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/NewBoxes.jpg

Hi Dan,

As they say in the trade...Thanks for looking.
Just wish everything wasn't so congested.

Sorry for the delay. As far as the Adcom amp, chatanika said it all. Nothing like personal experience with any particular product when looking for advice.

I'm using my lowly Parasound 855 now for the front three, bi-amping the Emerald towers. The Chiro C-300 has developed a hum so I need to attend to it. The space is small and the towers are 6 Ohm, 88dB so less demanding than your current set...and Parasound has always delivered the goods. In fact, using the AVR635 as pre/pro, the Parasound always delivers lower channel levels when running the EZSet/EQ than the much more powerful Chiro. Go figure.

If music is at all important to you then yes, I would always say towers are a good thing.
Your Aperion HT setup looks very nice (with that beautiful Plaz) and uses silk domes I believe. I'm sure you'll keep that in mind when upgrading. The Emeralds also use silk domes and while I like various tweeter designs and materials, when done well, silk domes are for me the least fatiguing while still delivering revealing detail in the highs.

Good Luck,

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts