AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished this game and absolutely loved it. I was wondering what were some more wrpgs like it. I'm playing through neverwinter nights 2 right now, and it seems pretty good so far. I've played fable which I thought was fun, but it was the great story in torment that I loved, and thats kinda what I was looking for.

Will probably pick-up old copies of Baldurs gate, Icewind dale,NWN 1, or fallout, but I was wondering which have the best stories.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Very few games are like Planescape Torment in terms of story. Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate are much more combat-focused. Maybe Morrowind is the only game that has shades of Torment in terms of non-combat textual depth.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Fallout has a great story, but it's very different and the combat is very different as well. Some of the old Lucasarts & Sierra point n click adventure games had great stories, for example King's Quest 5 & 6 or Full Throttle, but they play very differently given the type of game they are (obviously not CRPGs).

I agree with number1laing about finding another game like Torment. I've never come across a game in the nearly decade since I first played Torment that has a story anywhere near as engrossing and interesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda figured Torment would be one of a kind. Too bad.

I've actually been thinking of picking up a few kings quest games, and been looking for Grim Fandango too.

In Icewind dale and Baldurs gate, is the combat the same as in Torment? (I'm just asking since I think they used the same game engine)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Baldur's Gate Saga (from BGI to Throne of Bhaal) is still my favorite RPG ever. I've played through it more times than I care to think, and could do it again. Excellent, excellent story.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You might try 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' and the newer 'Pool of Radiance' (patch it good).

Neither are Planescape, but you might like them.

Recently finished 'Fable The Lost Chapters' myself and thought it was great, but after 'Oblivion' it just seems they could have done so much more...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts