AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my home theater, I have 4 windows covered with plantation shutters--one in each window.

I recently used an SMS-1 to calibrate my two subs--the bass now sounds amazing--huge punch with no booming.

However, the subs are making the slats of one of the plantation shuttlers rattle like crazy.

What's the best way to silence those shutters without destroying the look of the shutters? (the sound dampening tapes I've seen would all look pretty bad if applied to these white shutter slats).

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do these have the vertical piece of wood connecting all the slats? (Used to open and close them.) Is it just that piece that is making the most noise?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question: These do have the vertical piece of wood you speak of. However, I can actually see the horizontal slats moving during some bass heavy scenes (even when the shutters are completely closed), so I think the horizontal pieces are contributing the most noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, my first thought was the vertical, as the ones I had at one point, that thing made a lot of "clingy/clangy/click/clack/squeak/etc." noise just when using it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
What I ended up doing in my home was to use those extremely small clear silicone "feet" - they are nearly invisible but prevent that wood on wood rattle.

Edit: Something sort of like this: http://www.svc.com/acf3007-25c.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wanted to go with plantation shutters for my three small windows but have decided to go with cellular shades because of this issue and lighting. I have not ordered them yet. Do your plantation shutters do a good job keeping out the light?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton /forum/post/18250402

What I ended up doing in my home was to use those extremely small clear silicone "feet" - they are nearly invisible but prevent that wood on wood rattle.

Edit: Something sort of like this: http://www.svc.com/acf3007-25c.html

I thought of that as well, but if I put the feet on the slats, the blinds won't close all the way--where did you put the feet?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat /forum/post/18250461

I wanted to go with plantation shutters for my three small windows but have decided to go with cellular shades because of this issue and lighting. I have not ordered them yet. Do your plantation shutters do a good job keeping out the light?

They actually block light very well even during the brightest day (I have full Southern exposure on those windows) . I didn't go the cellular shade route because I have those upstairs and with all our sun on that side, they just didn't cut out enough light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts