AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ...so far rather happy with the new Maranztz 42" Plasma. As I never owned a Plasma before, I did notice in black sceens, the blacks have a rather hazzy dark greyish look.. I like my blacks, is this a restriction on Plasmas ??

I calibrated the screeen with VE and lowered the contrast and brightest, although, the unit was pretty good from the start..compared to when I got my Toshiba RPTV.. it was really out.. The Marantz was actually pretty well calibrated..

So any "tricks" to improve blacks ??

·
Registered
271 Posts
No tricks. Inability to do true blacks is the major failing in all non-CRT-based displays to date - the pixel cell cannot be turned completely off. Things get a little blacker with each new generation, and some brands have better black than others, often at the expense of performance in other picture parameters. There are a zillion details available in past threads.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Den,

Actually, the cells can be turned off - the problem is response time (it takes too long to turn them back on if they are completely switched off). So, the plasma has to keep them a "little excited", so they can be "fully excited" very quickly when the need arises.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would anyone have internal diag or calibration codes for the Maranzt 42" ?

thanks for the input guys...

thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lighting is a good way of improving the perceived blacks on a plasma. You will need a lot of brightness to have good effect of such a solution (>600 cd/m). I have used strong spots on each side of the screen (top, side and bottom), directed toward the back of the screen. This creates a "ring of light" around the screen. It is important the light is around 6500 kelvin.

This light will often dramatically increase the perceived blacks. The contrast will also seem better. The problem is naturally that you need to push the brightness a bit more than you normally would. Screens with low light output will probably not fit such a solution, as they would loose some of the details in the dark scenes.

Remember to look at the light for a couple of seconds first, so that your eyes get used this light. The AVIA video essentials also explains this method for use with CRT screens, but for plasma it is almost a necessity!

I have a Pioneer 433HD, and the perceived blacks are much better now. Naturally I would have preferred them black without the use of such measures, but this is the solution for the technology at its current state.

Remember not to point the lights on the screen itself, as this will wash away a lot of the details...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jon, thanks for the input, I installed a felx tubular rubber track lighting around the Plasma, but kept it at 50% dim level. This offers nice rear ambient lighting without being a disturbence. This can not act two-fold, ambient and bring out better blacks...

So if I understand you correctly, I would need to up the dim level of the rear lightingting up more to provide the illusion of better blacks ???..

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
mzn50,

Hey, do you have a picture of it with the lighting track behind it? I was looking for a lighting solution like that, so I would love your opinion of it. Does it detract from the viewing experience? How bright do you set it?

There were some experimentation on this forum regarding using polarizing film on top of the plasma in order to reduce the black levels, then compensating with higher-than-normal brightness & contrast. Not sure how that experiment turned out...

When all else fails, a large hammer can improve black level on most plasmas (however, it really ruins the rest of the colors...) ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here, I hope they show up on here ...

works nice and looks just great, the pics are not the best quality but shows well enough

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
mzn50,

Holy cow - that's brilliant man! I don't get suprised like this every day. What an AWSOME effect!

I have to get me one of those. Where did you get that lighting "string" (is it one of those christmas ornaments?).

Can you dim the lights?

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Matt,

Holy cramolie. Is it my imagination or are those Halcro amplifiers sitting in the corner of your photos? Man, you must be serious dude. A couple of CES's ago, the Halcros paired with some big assed JM Lab speakers provided some of the most amazing sound I've ever heard.

Must get put my bib on to stop the drool...

Rich

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guy .. no, they are a flex tube like strand of lighting that I found here in Ottawa, totally plastic and is perfect for this type of application.

I have a smarthouse that controls all my lighting, I connected the strand behind the Plasma to it.. and it goes on automatically and turns off at night when we go to bed.. looks really nice and provides a serile effect even when the Plasma is off..

Rich, yes, picked up a pair of DM58 Halcros last fall, love them, I alos went to CES this year and was even more impressed when they were hooked up to the Wilson MAXXs, I have the WP6s but the MAXXs really do them justice !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, so much for my solution! This is a MUCH better one, both technically and design-wize! I will run right down to the nearest lighting shop and get me one of those bands...

I could not interpret whether you perceived the image as better though... Does these bands provide enough light to increase perceived contrast?

I am using strong spots, providing a lot of light, but the problem is that they also put some light on the screen itself...

Thank you for the pictures, though!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jon ... I really have no idea, I have only had the thing for 3 days ...last night I put the light at a higher brightness and dimmed it and ...did not have a fix picture so was hard to tell.. will play a little more ..and see.. if all else, like I said.. it look very very smooth and give the room a great look !! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
mzn50, by the way, really nice place you got there... Visited your homepage... Did not see the plasma, though... I'll try for myself, and get back when I have...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
mzn50-

It would be nice if you had posted a picture with something showing on the screen, to really see how the effect works.

For those of you considering this, HD sells rope lighting, But I like these better:

www.outwater.com/slim.html

They are an accent light (Not real brite) , basically like a rope light housed in a 1/2" x 1/2" U-channel. The link does not show it, but they also come with 'daisy chaining' configurations. (ie. Starter, middle, end). I've used these on bookcases hidden under the face frame on front bottom edge of shelf. Used this way they illuminate the front edge of books, real nice.

Bruce

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor

I have to get me one of those. Where did you get that lighting "string" (is it one of those christmas ornaments?).
I've seen these light strings at Home Depot. They are pretty cool. I think that also have multi-colored ones, but they may not be the best for this application. :)

Barbara

·
Registered
224 Posts
R. Harkness - thanks for the above exclamation, lol, my reaction exactly! I was looking at the photos, thinking..."Nice effect with the lights around the - HOLY S**T! Are those Halcros?!" They sound good with Rockports too.

BTW, Matt, I see you're using Jenna Labs cryo'd outlets...I've been happy with the results from my silver plated Acme outlets, who'd a thunk freezing the darn things would make such a big difference.

Matt, what a beautiful home, HT room, set-up and gear. (I'm a realtor, love your setting too.) Enjoy it - though I saw a 61" Fujitsu over the weekend that would go VERY well in that room.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rackon, to tell you the truth, I heard nothing when I changed my normal Hospital grade to Jena Cryo.. so I am not sure they were worth the price, maybe someone had better luck and or effects with the swap, I didn't

BTW, I work for fujitsu.. maybe I should of asked for a family discount on the 60 inch !! ?

jmackie, the chest ? .. its treasure alright..Mags TAS, Sterophile and all my remotes as well as usuer manuals !! ..hehe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.