AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday i received my new JVC 42" ED plasma and tried it out on non-digital basic cable. Picture quality was "passable" so i was very excited to see how much better it would surely look on the DirecTV I was having installed today. To my surprise however, it looks awful! Blotchy and pixelated when objects move. Signal strength seems ok.

Nothing on this DirecTV setup appears to be grounded anywhere...in one of the manuals somewhere I read this could result in a poor picture?

50 foot of Rg6 cable runs from the triple lnb dish right to the 5X8 switch (switch is powered). Then 25 feet of Rg6 runs from the switch to the DirecTV rcvr. The rcvr is hooked up to the plasma with basic RCA-type connection. I will be going component video this weekend but doubt that will help enough.

HELP ME PLEASE. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Use at least S-Video. Component connections would be better.

And believe it or not, it does help quite a bit. At lease it did in my case. My sat looks better than I expected.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have a similar setup, but with a DTiVo and a Panasonic plasma, and without the intervening multiswitch, and it works fine. (I also used to use a separate multiswitch - with good results - but no longer needed it when I got the 3LNB dish.) Quality w/ DTV is noticeably, anthough not spectacularly, better than w/ analog cable.

If it's possible, you might want to hook up a run of dual coax directly from two outlets on the dish's multiswitch to your DTV receiver and see how it looks; then switch to the other two outlets on the dish and see how they work. This would enable you to determine if the problem is with the cabling or the LNBs or multiswitches.

BTW, I don't notice that much difference among different connectors from my receiver to the plasma - composite, S-Video, and component all look about the same in normal viewing, although you can detect subtle differences looking a test pattern or text such as the DTV menus.

In any event I hope you will keep after this problem until you get it resolved. You have spent $$$ on your new setup, and IMO definitely should not settle for second-class results.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Did you get an HD DirecTV receiver? I sure hope so, if it was a new install. HD will require the component connection, and should look great on your ED plasma.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for now i'm using the lower Hughes rcvr. i had the 'executive director' model but just after the installer completed configuring it, it locked up and reset itself. it happened again a few mins later so i told DirecTV not to activate that receiver and i'm getting a new one shipped. in the meantime, i moved the basic hughes from another room....could all of this be related to the poor quality picture?....

STUERT-thanks for the advice but pardon me for being dumb...what do you mean run two lines from the switch to the receiver then switch to the other two? isn't there only one satellite input on the receivers?

i'm watching basic channels, TBS, Fox, etc. and there does not seem to much of a difference between them.

any thoughts on the non-grounding?

thanks again.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Standard definition DirecTV stuff is generally pretty poor quality. It doesn't matter what display you use. The only way it looks good is if you watch it on a small display, like a 27" or smaller TV.

Generally, it seems like DirecTV and digital cable is more interested in using higher compression to cram in a bunch of useless channels. The results are poor quality images in general.

I have found that the OTA antenna feeds (SD analog, digital OTA and of course, OTA HD) to be far superior to any standard definition material on DirecTV.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
koneman - there are four outputs on the dish's built-in multiswitch; what I had in mind was using each of them alternatively to run the signal direct to your receiver. You wouldn't have to run them two at a time - I was thinking of DTiVo, which has two tuners and therefore two inputs.

Depending on how you're set up, it might be still simpler to disconnect the lines at the second multiswitch and use a connector to bypass it temporarily, one line at a time, to test the components involved.

BTW, my plasma is 37," and has considerably better PQ with DTV SD than the 27" ProScan tube set it replaced, and I shouldn't think increasing the display to 42" would make much difference. And, if I understand your post, your DTV recption is even worse than analog cable, which definitely shouldn't happen!

I don't know exactly what effect the lack of a ground would have - my guess is that it's not causing the problem. However, here again you could connect a grounding wire temporarily somewhere on the system and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, grounding is important for other reasons than PQ - lightning protection for one thing. Sometimes it is hard to figure out where the system has been grounded; if you can't find it I would give the installer a call - he should be able to tell you where to look, and should definitely come out and install a ground if there isn't one. This is part of any installation job, no matter how "basic" it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steuert- got it now, thanks. i can just link one of the incoming sat lines directly to the lines that runs to the tv, then another. yes i would say that the pq is worse with D*(or just a little less) than analog cable. after fooling around with the tv most of last evening, it actually looks ok now, but not good or great. maybe i was just expecting way too much overall? there are a lot of factors at work here and it'll be a few days till i have everything set-up the way i want. one thing might be the fact that i'm stretching a 4:3 picture to 16:9. it looks better at 4:3 (no duh) but that's not why i bought a ws plasma for.

thanks again for the help out there. this site and the people are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.