AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently preordered the new panny plasma 50px20u (close enough) and i have been reading all the video magazines, and i think sound and vision had an article on faroudja and plasma, and i was owndering if anyone has been doing this, i am new to this section of the site. Comments or threads that have already talked about this would be helpful. Any suggeestions on which to get and where to buy will be great, or if i even should get one. thanks a lot. for the help.

-robert

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We have a Panasonic plasma 42" "third generation," hooked up to a Faroudja NRS. I'm very pleased -- the pic is noticeably clearer than with the DVDO line doubler box we previously used with it. I'm planning on upgrading to a 50" Panny plasma, and will be buying the Faroudja DVP-1000 for it, which also does HDTV cross-conversion.

I don't think you can go wrong with Faroudja. They're expensive, tho.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the difference between those two scalers. I assume they both have the dvi out, do they convert to the 1080P like the 5000?

-robert

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The NRS and the NRS-DVI do not do any HD cross-conversion. So basically they are completely and only for converting 480i material (not even 480p) to a given, preset resolution (you specify the resolution when you buy the device). Your only option for HD material is a pass-through port (which is handy).

The DVP-1000 does conversion of 480i material, and also does HD cross-conversion, from 720p, 1080i, and 420p (granted, 420p is not technically an HD resolution) to a resolution that you select. The resolutions that are available are listed on the brochure at www.faroudja.com -- however, a 1080p resolution I believe is *not* available.

So two main differences:

1) With NRS/NRS-DVI, you can go from 480i only, whereas with the DVP-1000 you can go from 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

2) With NRS/NRS-DVI, there is only one output resolution, specified at the time of purchase, whereas with the DVP-1000, you can select the output resolution on the device itself.

Both have DVI out, but they are *not* HDCP compliant! So the Faroudja cannot do anything with DVI-HDCP content (not even pass it through, although I'm not 100% sure on this point). Faroudja is not currently even listed as an HDCP licensee, which surprises me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have used Key Digital video processors with both Pioneer plasma displays and Fujitsu plasma displays and have been very pleased with the results.

The cost of decent HT level video processors appears to be coming down a bit as well which should help more people gain access to them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
mdryja:

You seem to understand the NRS. I am trying to use the Comcast 3100HD HDTV box with my NRS. I posted this question in a separate thread but I'll repeat it here in case you don't see the other one.

The Comcast box has only YPrPb outs (three RCA). The NRS appears to have only a D15M input. But the manual also talks about "transcoding" the pass through signal from YPrPb to RGBHV, suggesting the possibility that it could pick that signal up from the three regular inputs. Is that possible?

Or will I have to get some kind of adapter cable that takes the three wire output of the Comcast and adapts it to the D15M of the NRS HDTV port?

Thanks.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.