AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are under contract on a new place in Winter Park. The town itself is at 9100ft but where our place will be is a couple hundred feet higher.

Most of the threads regarding altitude I saw were a bit older, so I thought I would make a new one... Are any of the manufacturers making displays now that I would be safe using at that altitude? I really dislike the way LCD's look but I am feeling like I may be stuck buying one.

FWIW I would be looking at something around 50".

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
The Panasonic plasmas are rated for 9,200 feet. Dunno about Samsung plasmas.

Are LCD TVs rated for even higher altitudes?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16917259

The Panasonic plasmas are rated for 9,200 feet. Dunno about Samsung plasmas.

Are LCD TVs rated for even higher altitudes?

I don't know specifically if they are, but out there everyone recommends LCD's due to altitude, so I would assume they have had better luck with them..

I just don't like watching LCD TV's, but if I have to I guess I will.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks /forum/post/16919229

I don't know specifically if they are, but out there everyone recommends LCD's due to altitude, so I would assume they have had better luck with them.

Yeah but who is "everyone"? Would it be the Plasma-hating LCD crowd? Or is it information taken from the LCD manufacturers? I've never actually seen any altitude specifications from the various LCD manufacturers, but it may be scientifically understood that LCDs are immune to altitude. But they are liquid based so i imagine that if plasma has an altitude rating, LCD must also have an altitude rating. I've been reading this forum for eight years (well before i registered and started posting) and i can't recall ever seeing a single report of a problem with Plasma or LCD caused by high altitudes and no posts from anyone having better luck with one over the other at high altitudes.

I think you should find out if LCDs are indeed rated for higher altitudes, and if so find out exactly what altitude is your LCD candidate rated for.

In the absence of actual facts, the whole "LCDs are better at high altitudes" thing could be just another example of mis-information from the LCD camp.

Personally, i'd be willing to push the altitude envelope with a Panasonic since it's only 100 feet more than specified and may not even be cast in stone.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My neighbor took a Panny PX75U to 10k ft in Colorado and the thing buzzed like a beehive was inside it. He finally resigned to putting it in his sea level basement and got an LCD for the cabin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/16922105

My neighbor took a Panny PX75U to 10k ft in Colorado and the thing buzzed like a beehive was inside it. He finally resigned to putting it in his sea level basement and got an LCD for the cabin.

This is what scares me.. I have read in various posts that even at rated altitudes the buzzing gets loud enough to be a distraction.. I just hadn't heard this on any of the newer units, and wanted to confirm.

I love my panny plasma and would just take it with me, but I am scared of the buzz. I guess it's free to try so I can always take it out there and hook it up and see before ordering an LCD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you give the Plasma a shot at 10k? I live in Evergreen, only about 7.5k, but any level of buzzing will drive me nuts so I've been hesitant to consider plasma (I currently have a 26" Aquos LCD that I'd like to replace). I thought I might stop by Ultimate Electronics in Golden and see if they had any thoughts on the matter since I expect they sell a lot of panels for ski condo use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts