Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have read a few different threads on backlighting with a plasma and have seen this question asked but not answered. I apologize if it has.

Here is the setup:

- Panny 42" 7UY on wall mount

- Clock outlet behind set to provide power

- Only low-voltage cables in wall as per code

Question:

- How do I achieve "switched" backlighting (rope light or ideal-lume) behind the plasma without running the power for it inside the wall, which is against code?

I understand I could probably do some sort of power splitter or even put another clock outlet behind the set but that would not provide switched power like my Denon AVR-3802 would. Another option I guess would be a timer behind the set but that is not ideal either.

Please let me know your ideas/solutions.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
I use a Niles AC-3 switched outlet to turn on/off the Ideal-lume backlight

it is turned on by a trigger from my preamp: I run low voltage wiring to the switch which is mounted behind the plasma: it has an unswitched outlet so the switch is plugged into the outlet; the plasma to the unswitched outlet, and the backlight to the switched outlet

a bit of overkill I suppose but it works nicely

alternately you could leave the backlight on all the time

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply. That is exactly what I am looking for !

Did you just get a 12V DC adapter, plug that into your switched outlet on your amp and then ran the 12V cord up to the Niles AC-3 through the wall? Which 12V adapter did you get?

Does the Niles AC-3 plug into an outlet or can it be directly wired into my house wiring that I have going to the existing clock outlet?

Thanks again,

Charles

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
my preamp (Lexicon MC-12) provides a 12 volt trigger: but you can also buy a 12 VDC 'wall wart' if you need to:you still need to switch the 12 volts somehow: observe polarity on the AC-3

The AC-3 has a 110 volt cord/ plug so plug that into the clock outlet and the plasma and backlight into it (it has 3 outlets: 2 are switched; 1 is unswitched

The AC-3 power cord is very long & bulky: I cut it short and attached a low profile right angle plug to the cord

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the information.

One of my receivers is old and I will need a 12VDC "wall wart" for it. I see that it needs to be 100mA. Strange that sites list the Niles 12 Volt DC 200mA (FG00665) Power Supply Wall Adapter as an accessory. Am I mistaken but the specs for the AC3 say it needs 100mA?

Then I could just plug the 12VDC "wall-wart" into my receiver's switched AC outlet correct?

Thanks again,

Charles

·
Super Moderator
21,332 Posts
100 mA is the rating: they show P/N XF00019 as the optional PS but any generic supply will work as long as it is rated at 100 mA or better

Yes: just plug a wall wart into the switched outlet of the receiver and you are good to go :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Mark !

Having two panny plasmas means I am going to have to get two of these things :). I am assuming you recessed it into the wall somehow. Not knowing exactly how big it is I am not sure, but I doubt it would fit between the wall and my set.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who might be following this thread, I found another option to solve this issue. I know nothing about x10 and I have heard some negatives about it, but for $45 I thought I would give it a shot.

Ordered this to replace clock outlet behind plasmas:
x10 split switched outlet

Ordered this to receive IR signal from my MX-700 universal remote and send to outlets:
IR receiver / x10 controler

I purchased them on ebay so they came out to $45 with shipping for two outlets and one IR534.

Will let you know how it works out.

- Charles

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hooked this stuff up this weekend and it works like a charm. So, for about $30/set you can have a switching, no high-voltage in the wall solution.

Later,

Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.