Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to an article in which the author says:

"Like everything else, plasma displays wear out. Under heavy use, you'll get about three years out of a plasma display before you notice severe fading. If you leave a plasma display on all the time, it might actually degrade to a point at which it is nearly useless"

This is the link to the article:

http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32684.html

·
Registered
441 Posts
Plasma technology have come quite a way since his 2 year old, possibly 3 year old Sony. Wish he would have done the research on current specifications, but he was trying to make a dramatic point. Typical journalistic writer.

·
Registered
33,826 Posts
As Dave indicated, the article is totally false. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find tons of posts relative to plasma life. The newer plasmas are now claiming 60,000 hours of service until they fall to 1/2 brightness. Even the prior models were claiming 30,000 hours until 1/2 brightness. You do the math and tell us how many years of typical viewing that equates to.

The writer indicates he didn't notice how much his plasma had faded until he got a new LCD and put it alongside. Well, many LCDs ARE brighter than plasmas, so this was a pretty foolish test. If he had put a brand new sample of the unit he's owned, THAT would have been a fair tests. These guys are clueless.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Just curious, do all or most of the plasma panels in the market today have 60,000 hours to 1/2 brightness? How do you find out which ones do?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Arun, most, not all... But I bellieve Fujitsu/Hitachi and Matsushita (two of the big glass makers) are citing that figure. Others can pop in to comment about Pioneer, NEC, Samsung, and LG.

One thing is that I don't know if anyone is below 30,000 hours to half brightness. At 8 hours per day, every day, that's still 10 years -- to half brightness, not panel death.

Jrock, half brightness is considered, I think, a reasonable point at which reasonable people might say, "Hmmm.... This isn't what we bought. It's getting kind of dim." It's hard to use the brigtness control, which doesn't control brightness, to fix the issue entirely. Some people, however, would probably be content.

60,000 hour life to half brightness is beyond any reasonable expectation of the life of the product and addresses longevity issues vis a vis the panel / phosphor-axis permanently as far as I -- or any reasonable person -- would be concerened. You are talking 15 years at 12-hour-per-day usage.

Oh, and when I saw this title, I thought it was going to be about bashing your plasma, as in bashing Nancy Kerrigan's knee. That is not recommended.

Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Thanks, Mark for the information.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrock65
What's this big hoopla about 1/2 brightness anyway? Can't you just turn up the brightness setting when this happens?
That was my exact thought about contrast a few months ago. But....

I just took measurements on my Sony 32" plasma which indicate that in the last 2000 hours (3600 - 1600) light output has dropped 18% on a 80IRE full screen and 18% at the 20IRE full screen with the same settings. No matter how much I increase contrast on the 80IRE full screen the light output doesn't budge. I can increase the 80IRE window(for which I have no initial reading)light output by 18% by pushing contrast close to the max. Any further loss and I won't be able to do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.