AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic VT50. I watched around 20+ hours of 4:3 content which has black borders on the left and right side. Now my TV looks like this:

Which is the best way of fixing this? Use the built in black/white scrolling bar, watch regular full screen content, or this?

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
If you have the Disney WOW Blu Ray, try running the pixel flipper overnight. It could take a few days or even weeks depending on how back the IR is.
This is what I do. I also avoid bars whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The best thing is just watch some full screen content and don't worry about it. I watch a lot of letterbox Blu-ray's and some 4:3 DVD's and the IR goes away in a few minutes of just playing full screen content. If you're going to marathon something with bars on the top or side, I would, just to be safe, take a break for a little bit and run some full screen content during a binge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did get some pretty bad image retention by playing almost exclusively Battlefield 3 on my Panasonic plasma (60" ST30). The HUD burned in a bit. Overtime is went away. You could speed up the process by running something like the YouTube video mentioned above, or you can turn on cartoon network and let it play. Both of the options will consume power and age your TV a bit. You could definitely just keep watching fullscreen material if you can stand it. It will fade, but on those movies with snowy scenes, you're going to see it for a while. Use your gray bars for the 4:3 next time.

I would not be scared of bars in the future. I have left static images on upwards of 8 hours, I use a computer on my screen with bordered windows, I videogame for hours at a time, and I watch 4:3 without much thought. I have done this for three years and have absolutely no burn-in or long term image retention at the moment.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I've seen IR after just 3 months of watching the same channel a few hours a day. Mix up your content.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts