AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone might have some insight into some problems that I am experiencing with my new Samsung 4252 PDP.

When trying to calibrate the brightness / contrast, it will never "work". I have tried two tests, one on the VE DVD (pre DVE copy), and the THX tests on Finding Nemo. On the THX test, if I set the brightness correct, the contrast tests are shot, and vice versa. On the DV tests, I can't get the brightness to work at all. The first test (gradiation on the right hand side, two bars in the center) sets OK, but then the second test (large white bar on the RHS) it is far too dark.

I have also noticed that when the OSD dissapears, the screen gets brighter in the tests.

I'm wondering if this is typical with Plasmas (I wouldn't think so), just this model (I've got my DVD player at work with the same cable I use at home, and will be stopping by a store later on to see if it is my copy), or could it have something to do with the power source? Ie, there is not enough power to the PDP for the brighter scenes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just posted on this Display also.... I have not used those set up discs yet but I did use the HD NEt Tune up tests and they worked fine... The problem for me is that even though they work, The picture still looks bad in the dark scenes! Good luck,

If you read my post(Help, should I have bought the Panny) you will see my probs- i'm thinking about trying the Panny.

My wife will be sad If I don't figure this one out because she likes the way it looks.

Are you having problem with PQ on your DVD's (Not the cartoon ones)

·
23,018 Posts
pdub99,

What DVD player? If your DVD player does not pass pluge, you will have a hard time using the VE calibration disc. Also, brightness (black level) and contrast (white level) are "co-dependent". Changing one affects the other. Set contrast first, a good starting point is probably "40-50" (50%). Then set brightness with the black bar patterns. Setting contrast on a plasma is not a "this is how you set it" task unless you get an ISF calibration.

larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
pdub99,

What DVD player? If your DVD player does not pass pluge, you will have a hard time using the VE calibration disc. Also, brightness (black level) and contrast (white level) are "co-dependent". Changing one affects the other. Set contrast first, a good starting point is probably "40-50" (50%). Then set brightness with the black bar patterns. Setting contrast on a plasma is not a "this is how you set it" task unless you get an ISF calibration.

larry
Yeah, I understand about the interdependencies between contrast and brightness. And I can't for the life of me get them to coexist. Is Pluge the task of getting the brightness set with the dark bars? That is my biggest concern. It may be the DVD player (it's a Panasonic DVD-RP62S Progressive-Scan DVD Player) but I didn't see any issues with it previously (granted it was using S-Video into a CRT before).

I would not expect there to be quite the effect that I am seeing when bright objects appear on the screen, the rest of the image is darkened. Is that normal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.