AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard so many horror stories of pixels burning into plasma screens because of too much usage or from video games. I am currently looking at the Samsung LN-S4095D but then I saw that plasmas are a lot cheaper so I thought I would look around. Anyone know if this is true/false or have info on the LN-S4095D? I will be using this TV mainly for video games so this is a big issue for my decision.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's an interesting pdf I downloaded from the Pioneer website which discusses what they call the myths surrounding plasmas technology.

They cite an experiment where they left the video game Half Life 2 running on its menu screen all weekend. At the end of the weekend, there was image retention (IR) of the menu lettering. But it wasn't burn-in. They were able to get rid of the IR by playing a movie loop for 24 hrs.

Here's the link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pio...0-%20FINAL.pdf

This paper was written in 2005 so, my thinking is that current generation sets are even better.

Have to admit I'd prefer to hear what Consumer Reports or CNET or somebody relatively impartial have to say after trying the same test...

·
Registered
228 Posts
There aren't alot of details about that burn in test. All they said was they played the Half Life 2 menu for 48 hours, it was noticeable initially, then went away after playing the DVD.

They don't mention picture settings, panel age, or how they determined if IR was visible.

For all we know, they could have used 2000+ hour lab aged panels, left the Half Life 2 Logo at minimum contrast/brightness/color (enought to produce REC), then just checked a black/dark test image for dimmed phosphors after 24 hours of DVD showing.

I have a Pioneer 7th gen plasma (PDP4270HD) that is having IR issues from playing a game for 6 hours at low contrast/brightness settings that are taking considerably more time to disappear. You can read more about it (along with pictures of my IR) on the stickied Master Burn in thread under the Flat panel forum.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it is a myth, I've been trying to get it off of my screen for a week now. The burn in is getting dimmer after treating it with a screen wash program, but it is still there!

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr /forum/post/0

If it is a myth, I've been trying to get it off of my screen for a week now. The burn in is getting dimmer after treating it with a screen wash program, but it is still there!

If you are able to try and do a Image invert and play the video that was burned into the screen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That article, while seemingly credible, sure does lack a lot of detail. Also, to say that Plasma outperformed CRT in black level either meant that they were using ANSI black level ratings or had a faulty CRT (perhaps a DC restoration problem) as having just recently compared my CRT's to my Panasonic 9th generation Plasma I can say that CRT FAR outperforms the Plasma in black levels in almost every case. Admittedly Plasma probably has better ANSI black level, as I seem to notice that when there is a lot of bright material on screen close to "pockets" of black the Plasma can look just a tad better but in dark scenes the CRT is so much better.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't play video games, but I do watch a lot of sports. Most stations have the score and other data showing somewhere on the screen. News channels... they have the ticker at the bottom. Is this something that should make me worry about burn in?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg /forum/post/0

I don't play video games, but I do watch a lot of sports. Most stations have the score and other data showing somewhere on the screen. News channels... they have the ticker at the bottom. Is this something that should make me worry about burn in?

About 75% of what I watch on my Panasonic 58PX600U are sports, and this is not a problem at all. The reason is the frequent commercials, which basically act as a screen saver.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I believe it *could* be an issue but in order for it to actually happen there almost has to be abuse involved. Now then, what do I call abuse? Well....

- Video gaming for hours and hours and hours on end with settings cranked up. Do this for weeks and you might have an issue...maybe even an issue with your employer if you have one

- Using the plasma as a stock ticker and watching CNN/Money all day long day in, day out.

- Using the plasma as a computer monitor.

If you simply use the TV as you would pretty much any other TV then it will never be anything to worry about. Its WAY overstated. Plus, I stick by my belief that if someone does suffer permanent burn-in then they likely caused it. Sorry, but thats the way I see it. It sucks if it happens to people but it is a very preventable condition!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.