AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to plasma displays and have some very basic questions regarding burn-in and use of my Pioneer 503CMX screen. I notice "temporary burn-in" at the drop of a hat. I can be using Windows 98 for 5 minutes and my "START" button leaves a residual image that lasts for a minute or more. Scary. Are other plasma brands better at this? How long would it take to do irreparable harm? Is any particular Windows screen saver better for a plasma? I like "Flying through Space" on the Pio. Sometimes I watch it for hours :) and it reminds me of college days in the early 70's.

Also, what about the various DVD aspect ratios that leave black bands top and bottom? I just ran through my DVD collection and only 2 were true 16:9 "full screen" 1.78:1. I heard that black bands are a no-no. How do I avoid problems? And why would grey bands be any better? My Panasonic RP56 DVD doesn't offer grey bands.

Finally, the manual says to shut off the main power switch when the unit is not in use for longer periods. What is longer? Hours, days, weeks, months? I am just using the standby switch on the remote currently and won't have access to the rear switch when it is finally hung on my wall.

Thanks much for any assistance. PlasMAN

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hiya Plas.....

You have probably already noticed in one of my past posts that I recommend putting the display into mode2 (cuts brightness way down) whenever you are using the windows environment (or any static image for that matter)... still looks like my ol' Trinitron monitor... you just can't get a suntan very quickly in mode2:cool:

I fell asleep with a photo on the screen for about an hour... no perm. burn-in :eek:

I have the same question about the power off/ standby mode... you can always just add a "lightswitched" circuit that you drive your panel from... or simply flip off the "powerstrip" ... or pull the plug:confused:

I thought I read somewhere that you can choose the color of your "black bands" but can't imagine it being anywhere other than in the factory setup settings... I wonder if anyone has made any progress in that area... using the "factory only connectors" in the back or whatever it takes....

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PKamp
I thought I read somewhere that you can choose the color of your "black bands" but can't imagine it being anywhere other than in the factory setup settings... I wonder if anyone has made any progress in that area... using the "factory only connectors" in the back or whatever it takes....
Yeah, it's in the integrator menu. Just hit the menu button right before you turn it on. I ran it with black bars for a while; I figure that if I ever have any trouble, I can just run it with white bars for a while. :)

Of course, that only applies t bars that the plasma generates, not bars that your DVD player generates.

Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.