AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping some of the plasma experts could weigh in on this subject.

There are many one here who are very knowledgeable, much more so than I.

I'm wondering if it is inherent to plasma technology to produce a buzz?

And what is the source of it?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Where's Xrox... He had a good explanation for the source a while ago, but I forgot where. It has been said many times by experts (D-Nice et al) that buzzing is inherent to the technology. It varies on your panel, your hearing, and your room environment.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
My read on this abnormal buzzing should only be heard at high elevations. By abnormal, I mean noise you can hear beyond a foot or two away from the device. Even that should be very low.

That said, the reports I see about the rare Sammy, Panasonic buzzing appeared fixable and not a design flaw, i.e tightening screws, etc.

The 2 threads discussing this issue with the kuros appear to be some issue inherent to kuros.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please keep this to facts if possible, not just opinions.

With physical data would be even better.

Perhaps this evening when traffic gets heavier here.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Well, I did the best I could given what we know.

1 - Most or all manufacturers suggest plasma buzzing is possible at high altitudes

2 - No manufacturer suggest one should hear abnormal buzzing at lower altitudes

3 - At least 2 threads have been started on 8G and 9G kuro buzzing.

4 - I have seen relatively few buzzing issues mention for other brands when compared to kuros.

5 - The buzzing on non Pioneer brands to my recollection was unique and fixable. I remeber descriptions of loose items being screwed down more properly etc.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, please Paul scientific data/facts.

Not speculations.

Also looking for what the cause is as it is not loose screws.

I appreciate your opinion though.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/14325153

Well, I did the best I could given what we know.

1 - Most or all manufacturers suggest plasma buzzing is possible at high altitudes

2 - No manufacturer suggest one should hear abnormal buzzing at lower altitudes

3 - At least 2 threads have been started on 8G and 9G kuro buzzing.

4 - I have seen relatively few buzzing issues mention for other brands when compared to kuros.

5 - The buzzing on non Pioneer brands to my recollection was unique and fixable. I remeber descriptions of loose items being screwed down more properly etc.

Panasonic had an issue with the audio amp board in some 50/500 series panels that caused buzzing.Replacing the board solved the issue.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I can only give you the facts on my own Pio 150.

The buzz was never obvious but after reading posts in AVS you become obsessive.

I can not hear it with any level of ambient noise or audio.

Can only hear it in a totally quite room with a bright screen or picture. Even then I have to be dead center and have my ear canal at just the right angle to the screen. Distance from the screen does not matter.

I tried to measure the audio frequency with a calibration mike and several types of software. I cannot get it to show on the software. My guess is the mike does not have the characteristics of the human ear.

Just as well in a totally quiet room I can hear the HDD in the moto DVr as well as the HDD in the sony media center PC. I could also hear the cooling fan on my previous set a sony KF50we610.

To me it is not an issue and definatly comes from the panel not the power supply or other component in the back (at least on my set).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/14325434

So you are of the opinion that it is not inherent.

To suggest that all plasmas exhibit audible buzzing has not been my in home/ ownership experience with 6 different plasmas.Several have been without any audible buzz at any distance front or back in a quite room.

So no its not inherent in my experience.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR /forum/post/14325584

To suggest that all plasmas exhibit audible buzzing has not been my in home/ ownership experience with 6 different plasmas.Several have been without any audible buzz at any distance front or back in a quite room.

So no its not inherent in my experience.

With five plasmas I also have never experienced any buzzing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
E-A-G-L-E-S,

I am happy to see you started a new thread regarding this, that poor guys thread got destroyed earlier today with the re-hashing of this topic. Hopefully in the future people will link to this thread rather than re-iterate what has already been said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts