AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to decide between different models and could really use some help deciding. I now have a 56" JVC AV-56WP74 and need to replace it. I am currently considering a Samsung PN58B560 @ $1922, a Samsung PN58B550 @ ~ $1888 a Panasonic TC-P54G10 @ $1639 and a Panasonic TH-58PZ800U for $2000.

I have spent the last 4 days researching and trying to decipher the pros and cons but seem unable to move forward due to lack of experience. This board has helped narrow my choices down to these tvs, for which I'm very grateful for.

Our viewing habits are at ~ 9-12 feet from set, about 33% TV and 33/33% SD DVD/Comcast Direct TV.

I am wondering if:

1. Is there a significant PQ difference between these 3 TV's ( I understand each model has its ups and downs, but I guess I'm wondering about broad impressions. I'm not a videophile ((yet
)), but I do enjoy a nice picture.

2. Would there be a significant decrease in viewing enjoyment if downgrading form 56" to 54" (subjective I know, but I'm sure some of you might have first hand experience with this.)

3. Are there any other sets you might recommend in this price/size range?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachongo /forum/post/16909996

Hi all. I'm trying to decide between different models and could really use some help deciding. I now have a 56" JVC AV-56WP74 and need to replace it. I am currently considering a Samsung PN58B560 @ $1922, a Samsung PN58B550 @ ~ $1888 a Panasonic TC-P54G10 @ $1639 and a Panasonic TH-58PZ800U for $2000.

I have spent the last 4 days researching and trying to decipher the pros and cons but seem unable to move forward due to lack of experience. This board has helped narrow my choices down to these tvs, for which I'm very grateful for.

Our viewing habits are at ~ 9-12 feet from set, about 33% TV and 33/33% SD DVD/Comcast Direct TV.

I am wondering if:

1. Is there a significant PQ difference between these 3 TV's ( I understand each model has its ups and downs, but I guess I'm wondering about broad impressions. I'm not a videophile ((yet
)), but I do enjoy a nice picture.

2. Would there be a significant decrease in viewing enjoyment if downgrading form 56" to 54" (subjective I know, but I'm sure some of you might have first hand experience with this.)

3. Are there any other sets you might recommend in this price/size range?

Thanks so much

1) If you are not a "videophile" there will not be a significant difference in picture quality between any of these sets. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or splitting hairs. They are all nice sets.

2) This is subjective. As a general rule any reduction in size compared to what you're used to will seem like a bummer -- most people try to trade up in size. That said, 2" is pretty darn subtle. If all other things are relatively equal (i.e. you can afford the larger sets and like everything else about them as much), I would get the largest you can afford and fit.

3) You can also get the Samsung PN58B650 for around $2K (seemingly your price range) at some places online at least, probably with no tax and free shipping. It is the next model up feature-wise from the 560 on your list. If you wait a couple months, Panasonic will also be releasing a couple new 58" models, though whether they will be in your budget range I cannot say.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Citivas, I appreciate your insight. Thanks to your help, which was clear, concise and mercifully absent of all fanboy bias, I am eliminating the Panny P54G10 from consideration and will now look to find the best deal available from the other sets.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The biggest difference, to a non-videophile, is size. But you probably already figured that out.

Which means that you should also give a look at the LG 60". It is showing up in sales for less than any of the displays you mentioned.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime /forum/post/16910629

It is showing up in sales for less than any of the displays you mentioned.

For a very good reason. It is considered by almost any source you talk to or read about (or use your own peepers) a very very distant third to the Samsung and Panasonic models.

I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference between a 54" set and a 56" set at a normal (at least 8') viewing distance. That is a difference of ONE inch all around!

Hell, it's hard enough to be able to see a significant difference between 54" and 58" imho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking at all the same TV's you were, at the end of the day the TV you buy now will be old news next year. I measured my wall and I'm going with a Panny S154 or S158, 9.5-14 feet viewing distance..

I'm upgrading (new home) from a 32" LCD 720, so anything and everything looks better. I looked at the G10 vs S1 and couldn't see much difference at the store, but both are 100X better than what I have now, so I figured just get the best bang for the buck and if I come a videophile like many folks on here, I'll upgrade later.

My dad as a 60" non-kuro Pioneer and it looks great, at the store you can see the obvious differences in the Kuro vs others but I don't want to spend that cash. Panny was next best option as I want the deeper blacks and not brightness so it had to be a plasma.

If I didn't have a PS3, I'd probably just go buy the X1 or U1 or whatever it is 720 series for my distance as Comcast HD looks amazing now on my 32".

Good luck

·
Registered
3,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoclown /forum/post/16911273

For a very good reason. It is considered by almost any source you talk to or read about (or use your own peepers) a very very distant third to the Samsung and Panasonic models.

"Use your own peepers" is good advice.

As for reading material: Rather than going with some tweaker's drive-by encounter-- or a hairs-on-the-dog videophile "shootout" -- why not ask the guys who own one? That is, check out the new LG 60" thread here on AVS.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry can't get all warm and fuzzy about an LG plasma. I've looked at them and read about them, but they do not represent a good value when compared to the leading brands.

I looked for the thread on them an saw no recent posts, not a good thing. Plus in the shoot out they did not have that great of a showing. I would not count LG out yet, but they need to get a buzz worthy product out like the X1's to get noticed and generate sales. I don't doubt they make a decent panel, but I have not seen any glowing reviews for a credible source indicating that, an PCworld does not count.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts