AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to damage a plasma TV by yanking out the composite cables while the TV is on?

I have satellite, and recently I decided to give Cable a shot, just because the HD channels were cheaper. The tech who came to install suffers from bad temper, and while my son was watching TV, the tech reached behind the panel and without turning the power off, he yanked the composite cables out of the inputs, the screen went black. Plasma went in sleep mode but never woke up. Long story short, later that day I plugged the composite cables back in the TV and couldn't get it to turn on.

I know that electronics are sensitive and the TV was in perfect working condition right before this a-hole pulled the cables with the power on.

Is it possible that what he did could have damaged the plasma?

Thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
it is possible he damaged the plasma. maybe he yanked too hard and cracked the board? i know sometimes cables can be stuck tight in the input. i don't think it was because the plasma was on, but more that he pulled too hard. if it went to sleep right away when he did it, i would have called his supervisor at that second. if you call a day later they might say you broke your television and not the cable guy.

what plasma do you have?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Couple of questions. Does the FP work with Cable (coax, HDMI or Component)? If it does have you used your TVs remote to change the input to composite(don't know what you might have it labled as)?

While anything is possible - it would be hard for that to cause the whole FP to die.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts