AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my Pio 433cmx will be delivered tomorrow via Eagle Logistics. Is there anything I should be aware of when the delivery truck arrives. Do I unpack it and test it before he leaves (which could take a while)? It's not "installation service" but rather just delivery. I checked the faq and tried searching, but didn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
it"s not a china doll. you be surprised what they can take.

and i know eagle will not deliver to private homes.

they sub it out to local carriers.

call them and check.

i luv my 433 cmx.

lol

bigred

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Other than the above great recomendations, here are a fews other necessary items......

1.) Doctor's note (excuse) from being off-work. (came down with Pixel pox)

2.) Endless supply of microwave popcorn.

3.) Endless supply of DVD's.

4.) Endless supply of the beverages of your choice (Pixel Pox Elixir)

5.) Turn off phone ringer

6.) Sunglasses (only used until you have had a chance to adjust settings)

7.) Plenty of pizza coupons for deliveries.

8.) Plenty of smokes (if you smoke).

That should be a pretty good start.....

Congrats! :D

PS Oh! one other...

9.) Make sure you have paid the electric bill.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My panny came double boxed , with a blue "tip'n'tell" indicator that indicated that it hadn't crossed the 30 degree mark. Plus, it came strapped up standing to a wooden skid that the Eagle guy unloaded.

As mentioned in an earlier thread - this indicated to me that the Northwest Airlines pilot did not commit any barrel-rolls between NY and DFW (mine came from Electrograph) :)

By the time I got it out of the box, plugged in and fired up, the delivery guy from Eagle was long gone - but no dead pixels no damage , no hum no nothing, so I guess I was lucky. Yep - Eagle did a home delivery for me.

Check the outside box for any "impact marks" I guess.

VSapra

·
Registered
183 Posts
oh - one more thing - if you are getting the TH-42PWD-5UY or TH-42PHD-5UY (commerical versions), make sure you have some BNC adaptors from Radio Shack. (Do a search on this forum for "gold BNC radio shack" )

Easily overlooked, but a very imp. part if you actually want to plug it in and be amazed!

VSapra

·
Registered
219 Posts
Shokunin,

Several things to look for:

1. most plasmas come with a freight shipping tag with a little clear vial surrounded by a red sticker, aka a little 4" stop sign. If the vial is RED, it means the display was banged around on that end rather severely. It's usually located at the top of the box on one of the short sides.

2. I recommend checking the tape on the box to make sure it wasn't previously opened. If it was, mark that on the invoice as you sign for it.

3. Generally you have at least 24 hours to note any defects from shipping to the shipper. This includes whether or not the display works once hooked up. You might want to give your freight servicer a call ahead of time, and ask them what their policy is regarding damage reporting. If they are strict about it, make the delivery guy hang out while you open the box and pull out the components. Chances are there won't be any damage, and you really don't need to have the delivery guy their when you open the box.

Once you open it, make sure all the components are there, and that the UPC code is on the box somewhere. I had a hair raising experience with mine being missing when it was delivered. The dealer is used (bestbuyplasma.com) and manufacturer (Panasonic) were concerned about that and allayed my fears rather easily.

If once you hook up your display, and its either DOA or simply messed up, bad pixels..etc..., then call your dealer immediately for a replacement. Failing that, call the manufacturer's customer service line.

And remember to keep all documentation, including the shipping invoice.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, will have an extension cord ready when the plasma arrives. Since the Pio is the commericial version and not the elite, I'm pretty sure it comes with BNC's. I actually prefer the BNC's over the RCA connectors. Either way I've got plenty of spare cabling.

Sixevans, thanks for the link, I'll try and do that test just to make sure the panel isn't doa, sounds easy enough to do, assuming there isn't a whole of of packaging and manhandlig to get the display to a "visible" state.

I'll be home tomorrow waiting for it :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You definitely need bnc's for the pio. I believe it comes it with 1, but for some reason, mine didn't have any in the box. If I were you, I would go out and buy 3 bnc-rca adaptors.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a 433CMX so I'm familiar with the packaging. Some basic suggestions:

1) Ask the delivery person(s) to stay while you unpack and inspect the unit. This does not take much time. Check for obvious physical damage to the unit - forget what the box looks like. My box was pretty beat up, but the 433 was just fine - it is well protected.

2) Do NOT cut the banding - it can easily be slid off the box. Hopefully, you'll never need to repack, but . . . . Save the box and all of the contents.

3) The boxed 433 weighs about 100 pounds. In my case there was just one person (the truck driver) who delivered it. If it's one guy, help him out!

4) When you first turn it on, make sure you have at least one source hooked up, otherwise you can not make any setting adjustments in the menu screens - and you'll suffer a panic attack thinking there's something wrong with the 433.

5) If you hook up a DVD player, STB, or anything else to Input 2, it will require RCA to BNC adapters. Three of them will run you $16 at Radioshack. You may get a small green centered DVD image at first on Input 2. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong. You just have to go into the menu screen, I think it's in setup, and enable VGA or something like that - I forgot.

6) You get one BNC adapter with the 433 for Input4 (the component input). I'd suggest you hook up a VCR with composite cable here to check out Input 4.

7) Install the PDA 5002 card before you put the feet on. Just lay the unit, CAREFULLY, face down on a carpeted surface to install the card. The card slot has rails and when it's installed properly, you can hear and feel a click.

8) Wait a few days before you go into Integrator mode to make adjustments.

9) Download the 503/433 Technical manual from the Pioneer site. Stay up 'til 4 AM studying how the plasma is packed and how the integrator settings work. There will be a test tomorrow.

!0) Most important - Enjoy that sucker! It's an awesome plasma.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Excellent tips. I was interested in this myself.

I would add that taking pictures of everything during delivery can help. Having picture evidence which you can send, fax, email, etc, really helps expedite your case past foot-dragging people when problems occur. But of course, don't blatantly intimidate someone. And they can work against you when dealing with insurance folks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Definately help the man out if he is by himself. Also, don't be tempted to pick it up by the handles that are cut out on the sides of the box. Pick it up from the bottom. The strap on mine gave out and we both almost dropped my new 503cmx. (The strap hold the top to the bottom, the bottom holds the plasma, without the strap the bottom drops out).

If you are going to use the packaging as a temporary stand, don't drag it on the carpet. The underside of mine was dirty and my wife's rug has a couple decent black streaks on it now, not a good start with the WAF. Stage it on a old towel or bedsheet.

Again the display is heavy. Don't be impatient and try to move it yourself if it's out the box (or even to get it out of the box). Do it right and get some help or you will probably drop it. It's like moving a futon mattress, there's really no good grip on it.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for their great advice!!!!

I just received delivery of the 433cmx and it with the comments above, the procedure went smoothly. Basically, as others have metioned, the tie straps hold the top of the box to the bottom.

1. Slide off the tie straps.

2. Lift the cover up and off

3. Now you have the plasma with 4 foam corner protectors

4. remove the foam pieces.

5. remove the thin foam sheet that protects the plasma

6. Plug in source (laptop)

7. Plug in power

8. Batteries in remote

9. Turn the sucker on.

Viola, Input 1 comes to life and have a nice wiide picture. I highly recommend you have someone hold the plasma upright between steps 4-9, just so you don't go tipping the plasma over when you're plugging something into it. All in all it took maybe 5 minutes to make sure the plasma was okay.

Seems like I have one dead pixel that shines red when I put a white background on. Everything went smoothly except Dell forgot to include the PDA5002 video card. Time to track down that piece..

I'm a happy camper, time to read up on some technical manual and drag the HTPC out of the home theater to see what the plasma can do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Geat post. I too am getting delivery of a 433CMX from Dell and I was thinking of hooking up my laptop to it as well.

I'm wondering whether the delivery person was kind enough to wait until you fired up the display before departing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hello all

Good tips so far - Pioneer owners especially note the point re slipping the binding straps off rather than cutting them.

Just a quick point for those doing a quick visual inspection of a display with a delivery driver hovering over them wanting to get away.

If your not firing up the panel please note it is possible (and common) for the outer glass to remain intact and the 'inner' plasma panel to disintegrate if a unit is dropped.

Ensure you have a careful look 'below the surface' - a torch can be useful for this if your in a hurry.

Best regards

Joe Fernand

The Media Factory - UK Home Cinema dealer

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the driver waited til I was done. I simply asked if he could wait five minutes for me to test the thing out, while at the same time pulling out a $20. I didn't mind tipping the guy, but I think he was kind of looking forward to seeing the plasma as well. Luckily, I was true to my word and it really only took about 5 minutes, just make sure you have everything there ready to go, laptop booted, power outlet nearby, vga cable ready.

·
Registered
784 Posts
"Ensure you have a careful look 'below the surface' - a torch can be useful for this if your in a hurry. "

Won't a "torch" leave soot on the glass and possible set the packaging on fire?

;-)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
WAAAHHHHOOOO! I got my 503 today from Dell delivered via Eagle. Delivery went great and due to this post I was very well advised how to handle it. The driver was great and called me first thing this morning to set up delivery today with a one hour window btwn 1 and 2. He then told me he will call again when he is about 10 minutes out. At 1:30 I got a call and sure enough 15 minutes later he was here. The box was in excellent condition and sitting fully upright in the truck. I helped him with the unit and we carried it in my house. I then slid off the bands, opened it and all looked good. I did not make him wait any further due to the excellent condition and knowledge the driver had on this type of deliv.

I did not get my Aurora A303 card yet so I can't do much more than check it for buzz and pixels right now. I performed the buzz test and absolutely no problem there, this screen is as quiet as a baby. I did the full mask in all colors. It looks like I have one stuck pixel in the upper left hand corner. It shows up in a greenish-bluesh color when I am in white and red. I green and blue you do not notice it. Right on the screen covering material was a PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING page. Right on it it say's "...there may be some pixels that do not light and some that are alway's lit". I guess there is not much complaint I can make about one pixel (please tell me if you think otherwise). I can't wait to get my A303 and get this baby all fired up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.