AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running a plasma display for HDTV? Is the picture quality acceptable? I have seen 50 inch Marantz playing a DVD that looks pretty darn good, but not HDTV.

Also, I see see there are several 42 HD sets under 6K. Are there any particuliar features that would be desirable or any must have features?

Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some of the newer high end plasma displays have 1366x768 pixels.(same as my projector) If HD material at 1366x768 looks as good as it does with my projector thrown onto a 108" diagonal screen, an HD picture(1366 pixels horizontal) should look great on a 42"-61" plasma screen. I'm not sure if the same can be said for some of the earlier models of plasma displays that had only 1024 horizontal pixels. FWIW.

I see your in Michigan. On Thursday Oct.11 Thalner Electronics is having their Fall Video show in Ann Arbor. I've been to every show of theirs for the last 12 years. I see that this year Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, JVC, AMX, and Pioneer are all suppose to be there. Their last show I was at had a separate room with a dozen projectors and monitors (including plasma displays) set up. I hope this year will have as much. But just so you know, over half the show is professional video equiptment. If you like, just pop me an e-mail and I can give you more details about the show if you wish to attend.

Mike e-mail [email protected]

[This message has been edited by HDmike (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Pioneer 50" PDP-505HD (1280 x 768) and a Pioneer SHD-505 HDTV receiver connected to it. HD material is stunning on it. The WGBH special on France last night just took our breath away.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Keep in mind that most if not all 42" displays have a vertical size of 480 pixels, for better or for worse.

What bothers me about plasma (and all fixed array) displays is:

1) Native resolution different from what the source produces.

2) The theoretical advantage of fixed array displays is a capability for one-to-one resolution. But with no digital inputs or source outputs you end up with several conversions.

My dream product would be then a large 1080 fixed-array display with digital connections with the 1080i HDTV box and also with a 960p DVD player. One-to-one pixel assignment with no interpolation, losing some pixels for DVD. Standard sources to be quadrupled with an internal unit.

Are these products in the planned-obsolescence queue?

------------------

Pablo Roufogalis L.

[email protected]
http://www.aretecnica.com/fampg.htm

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't see the plasma forum. The answers of "stunning" and "incredible" were what I was looking for though. I built a theater with a projector first, but my wife really wanted to get a plasma screen first. She is into the drool factor. I think this will be a great Christmas present.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.