AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not really dropped but I was at HHGregg to pick up my new 60PS60 yesterday and when the warehouse guy wheeled it out, tilted back on a dolly, he sort of lost control of it when he went to stop and the elevated end fell kind of hard the last foot or two. It was a hard set down or mild drop, not sure how to describe it.

I noted it to the warehouse guy and my salesman before deciding to go ahead and take it. I later talked to a manager about it and he assured me if I had any problems with it he would take care of me. These guys treated me right before and did a huge favor for me so I tend to trust them.

I have not had time to open and set up the tv yet but was wondering how well these things are insulated in the box and how common is it for them to get bumped sround in delivery. If it looks good physically and picture wise, could that type of handling cause problems down the road?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaed /forum/post/18137774

Ok not really dropped but I was at HHGregg to pick up my new 60PS60 yesterday and when the warehouse guy wheeled it out, tilted back on a dolly, he sort of lost control of it when he went to stop and the elevated end fell kind of hard the last foot or two. It was a hard set down or mild drop, not sure how to describe it.

I noted it to the warehouse guy and my salesman before deciding to go ahead and take it. I later talked to a manager about it and he assured me if I had any problems with it he would take care of me. These guys treated me right before and did a huge favor for me so I tend to trust them.

I have not had time to open and set up the tv yet but was wondering how well these things are insulated in the box and how common is it for them to get bumped sround in delivery. If it looks good physically and picture wise, could that type of handling cause problems down the road?

with an item like that, I'd not take any chances. If it were me, I would have asked them to pull another tv from their warehouse, if there isn't another unit, order one and wait for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:

MOST Plasma TV's are pretty well protected in their box and are not as fragile as say, a carton of eggs.

I would say the exception to this would be some of the High End Pioneer sets that seem especially easy to damage during transport and had their own damage tracking thread.

If the "hard set down" or "mild drop" was the worst that happened to your TV on it's way to the final destination, I would say you got off lucky.

If the screen is not cracked yet, I don't think there is any evidence to show that a bump before delivery causes later cracking.

Enjoy your new TV.

Edit: Of course, if it DOES crack later, good luck getting it fixed under warranty...

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Open it up immediately and check for broken glass, etc. If it works fine, I bet it's OK. When they were replacing a DVI input on my DLP a few years ago, they dropped the DLP from 3' high (fortunately, right on its base). I was concerned considering all the moving parts (color wheel, mirrors, etc). The repair man said everything inside is clampoed down pretty well, and sure enough, it has worked perfectly ever since.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:

I have not had time to open and set up the tv yet but was wondering how well these things are insulated in the box and how common is it for them to get bumped around in delivery. If it looks good physically and picture wise, could that type of handling cause problems down the road?

In the time you took to type all of this, you could have opened the box and inspect the screen and bezel for cracks. Chances are the TV survived the partial drop - the foam packing does a pretty good job of protecting the TV during truck shipment which can be a pretty bumpy ride (RR tracks, dips, bumps, jumps, etc) but still, many TVs arrive broken on the drive to your house. I've seen bobtail trucks hit a bump and the rear tires jump a foot off the ground, and the contents bounce up and come crashing down to the truck floor. I drove a bobtail after high-school and have done my share of damage to light fixtures and metering equipment

I don't get why the store employees don't use a flat four-wheeled furniture dolly instead of perching a huge awkward box on a two-wheeler. Personally, i would have insisted on a different unit after the drop.

But there have been a number of reports of LG (and Samsung) plasma screens that cracked all by themselves while the owners were watching TV so i'd be concerned that a hidden crack will start to grow after several hundred heating/cooling cycles as the days and weeks and months go by. If this happens to you you'll have no legal recourse.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18138745

In the time you took to type all of this, you could have opened the box and inspect the screen and bezel for cracks. Chances are the TV survived the partial drop - the foam packing does a pretty good job of protecting the TV during truck shipment which can be a pretty bumpy ride (RR tracks, dips, bumps, jumps, etc) but still, many TVs arrive broken on the drive to your house. I've seen bobtail trucks hit a bump and the rear tires jump a foot off the ground, and the contents bounce up and come crashing down to the truck floor. I drove a bobtail after high-school and have done my share of damage to light fixtures and metering equipment

I don't get why the store employees don't use a flat four-wheeled furniture dolly instead of perching a huge awkward box on a two-wheeler. Personally, i would have insisted on a different unit after the drop.

But there have been a number of reports of LG (and Samsung) plasma screens that cracked all by themselves while the owners were watching TV so i'd be concerned that a hidden crack will start to grow after several hundred heating/cooling cycles as the days and weeks and months go by. If this happens to you you'll have no legal recourse.

I find your opening remark to be uncalled for. In fairness to the OP, there is more that can be damaged by a hard drop than broken glass in the pdp, and such damage may show up later rather than sooner. TV these days have lots of sensitive electronics that can be damaged by such a drop, though I would agree the odds are small. And yes such damage should surface during warranty, but why should he have to go through the hassle of a warranty repair if he doesn't have to? Bottom line is the buyer has a right to be worry-free with his purchase and if he is not to insist on a replacement unit.

·
Banned
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/18138841

I find your opening remark to be uncalled for. In fairness to the OP, there is more that can be damaged by a hard drop than broken glass in the pdp, and such damage may show up later rather than sooner. TV these days have lots of sensitive electronics that can be damaged by such a drop, though I would agree the odds are small. And yes such damage should surface during warranty, but why should he have to go through the hassle of a warranty repair if he doesn't have to? Bottom line is the buyer has a right to be worry-free with his purchase and if he is not to insist on a replacement unit.

I didn't find anything that Randy wrote as offensive. If any electronics fail because of being dropped then that will be covered under warranty and will likely show up easily before the warranty is up. If the panel or bezel is cracked it will easily be seen but won't be covered under a warranty and only be handled in good faith by HH Gregg. I would have inspected it as soon as I got home as that way if there is a problem it's still fresh in everyone's mind. I would ahve also asked for something in writing noting the responsibilty of the action.

·
Vendor
35,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billp /forum/post/18138520

open it up immediately and check for broken glass, etc. If it works fine, i bet it's ok.

+ 1

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem with what Randy wrote. I was waiting for replies to see if it should be a major concern before I opened it, as I figured it would be easier to tell them to come get it if I had not opened it yet.

I'm going to send the manager an e-mail with what we discussed and ask him to respond in writing confirming everything.

I agree that they sould use a big four wheeled cart to bring something that size out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.