AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never had and a hdtv before but i play games everyday all day (15-18hrs a day)

and i watch a lot of movies with black bars and im not sure i can wait 200hrs before playing games

so should i get a led lcd instead of a panny plasma although a plasma has better pq.

i did a search of topics and found a lot about long gaming but they consider long gaming 4-7hr sessions and i understand a good plasma wouldnt have burn-in or ir in that length of time but what about 15hrs everyday

i really want a panny plasma but dont you all think i should go with lcd to be safe and if so what brand and model around 55-65 inch and money isnt a problem

thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkarnie /forum/post/18297797

and i watch a lot of movies with black bars and im not sure i can wait 200hrs before playing games

so should i get a led lcd instead of a panny plasma although a plasma has better pq.

i did a search of topics and found a lot about long gaming but they consider long gaming 4-7hr sessions and i understand a good plasma wouldnt have burn-in or ir in that length of time but what about 15hrs everyday

i really want a panny plasma but dont you all think i should go with lcd to be safe and if so what brand and model around 55-65 inch and money isnt a problem

thanks

Not sure on the pq yet as it hasn't been released but Vizio is going to have a 72" LED. I really like Samsung LED's but I believe they still only go up to 55 inches. Also if you have the room for it and want to go really big how about an 82" dlp? That's what I have and it's great for gaming and movies. Granted I don't play anywhere near that many hours but there's no input lag, no motion blur, and a great pic imho. Burn in is supposed to be much improved (disclaimer I've never owned a plasma) but I would think with that kind of extended play time it could still be a problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Even though I prefer a plasma for it's pq and for gaming it'd be faster so better all round but for 15 hours at a time with some sort of similar pattern on it that long I'd be very nervous about using plasma but then again, I really dont know but I'd love to hear how it'd go. Why not try a 720p plasma. They're damn cheap now if you buy a 09 model. It can be an experiment for you, and hopefully this forum. Report on how it's doing with that kind of use because one of the big things with people is they pass up the plasma superior PQ in favour of LCD because of perceived IR or Burn issues with plasma. Yes, it's sad.

And IR isnt Burn. IR goes away, burn is permanent.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have 2 plasmas and an LCD and game easily as much as you do. I have never had a problem except for lag on an LCD. I read somewhere that LCD's have loads of circuitry to recreate a picture as good as a plasma, thus all that circuitry creates lag. As an engineer this makes sense to me. Although everything is running in nanoseconds I see a major difference playing COD:MW2 online on my new plasma VS. my old LCD. Which is the reason I bought it. As for the plasma, I have never experienced IR and especially burn-in. I really don't know how bad you would have to abuse the set to create a problem? Go with the plasma and just be sensible about what you do! And for the record, I LOVE my LCD, it's a fantastic set. Gaming, in particular, is just better on the plasma.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat /forum/post/18303407

I have 2 plasmas and an LCD and game easily as much as you do. I have never had a problem except for lag on an LCD. I read somewhere that LCD's have loads of circuitry to recreate a picture as good as a plasma, thus all that circuitry creates lag. As an engineer this makes sense to me. Although everything is running in nanoseconds I see a major difference playing COD:MW2 online on my new plasma VS. my old LCD. Which is the reason I bought it. As for the plasma, I have never experienced IR and especially burn-in. I really don't know how bad you would have to abuse the set to create a problem? Go with the plasma and just be sensible about what you do! And for the record, I LOVE my LCD, it's a fantastic set. Gaming, in particular, is just better on the plasma.

yep LCD's can have anywhere from low input lag (5-10ms for most panny LCD's) to extremely high input lag (70+ms for many Samsung and Sony models in game mode) plasma's typically always have low input lag (less than 30ms) Panasonic's are the best in this area with both LCD and Plasma they consistently make TV's with 30ms input lag or less, often half that on most of their LCD and Plasmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu /forum/post/18303449

Dude, 18hrs a day, everyday? Your gonna have a seizure and die in puddle of your own fluids. Forget the tv, get a girlfriend and leave the house.

18 hours is a bit much, as long as its not continuous though and you take breaks inbetween and use the IR remover on the TV or playback some full screen TV shows during the breaks i highly doubt you will ever burn in the Plasma once its broken in and taking those steps will also remove any IR you may have caused

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,035 Posts

Quote:

Just to be on the safe side you probably want an LED LCD then, if you are worried about PQ. If PQ is a secondary concern, consider a CCFL based LCD from a model/brand with lower lag issues.

Quote:

Only if Picture Quality is a high priority for you. Most HDTV's made 2007 or after have great pictures no matter the technology. Especially once they've been calibrated. If PQ is a major concern of yours LED or Plasma is the way to go. Which one is better is generally a matter of preference.

Quote:

15 hours a day is quite a lot and if you play games with a HUD thats constantly on the screen or RPG's or Fighters with health bars constantly active, it could be an issue.

Quote:

thanks

I also game a lot, though not nearly as much as you do (got kids now. before I had kids, I would game 10-12 hours if I was playing a really good RPG. My girlfriend can hit those hours as well) so I went with LCD. However I don't play FPSers or very many fighting games, so lag wasn't an issue for me. (mostly stick to action games and JRPG's). So far I don't have much of an issue with lag on my LCD, but then again I don't play lag sensitive games except for Devil May Cry and Dance Dance Revolution...and so far no trouble with either of those tittles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gaming 15+hours a day + "money isn't a problem" = ?

This makes me sad.

Go buy a 600m.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo /forum/post/18320890

Gaming 15+hours a day + "money isn't a problem" = ?

This makes me sad.

Makes me think that he lives at home with mom and dad. Nice not to have to have a house payment.

Perfectly honest with you, if you really do 15-18 hour gaming sessions several times a week or more, I would really worry about burn in on a PDP.

Normally I would not, but where does use of a PDP go from normal to abuse? I would go with the LED LCD instead of PDP.

I have a Sharp that I have done allot of FPS games on and have not noticed any lag on. I also have a Samsung 550 that I do allot of FPS games on and have not seen any lag on that either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If money isn't a problem go with a very decent Plasma. The gaming experience will be amazing for you with no input lag

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm a Dr., playing anything for 15 hours at one time is dangerous to your health.....get some exercise instead. The weather outside is great right now, especially in socal. I don't know where you live, but there must be something to do outside. There are swings in the park that are fun...........slides too.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeboy /forum/post/18344168

I'm a Dr., playing anything for 15 hours at one time is dangerous to your health.....get some exercise instead. The weather outside is great right now, especially in socal. I don't know where you live, but there must be something to do outside. There are swings in the park that are fun...........slides too.

Well you know you can play 12+ hour gaming sessions and still get a ton of excersize. I used to do that (12 hours of gaming a day) but on the weekends I would go out partying, go dancing at clubs, go to amusement parks etc with friends so I did both marathon gaming and physical social stuff.

Its possible!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

Quote:

thanks

I've had multiple 12+ hour gaming sessions on my plasma. No burn in or ir and I keep my contrast as high as possible without crushing whites.

Go for a Panasonic plasma. If money is truly not an issue, get the V or Z series. Or if you can find one, a Pioneer Elite would be nice.

I would definitely avoid Samsung at all costs. They tend to have the highest amount of lag which can make a night and day difference when you're playing online, but of course you already know that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Different plasma manufacturers handle IR and burn-in better than others. From what I've read Panasonic is best in this regard. Samsung & LG not so good with IR/burn-in but have other strenghths.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts