AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from people that view .avi programming (xvid) from their htpc or laptop onto a plasma display. I have been trying to find some direction and answers but haven't been too successful but maybe the answers are here :) Anyhow, I have quite a lot of TV programs on my hdd that are hdtv or pdtv 350mb tv rips that are .avi xvid files. I play them with no problem on wmp9, media player classic, etc.. on the laptop or lcd pc monitor. What I want to do is output via VGA to a plasma monitor if I can get a nice viewing picture. I'd like to have a bedroom sized plasma (probably a 42") but I would like as nice as picture as possible. My question is, is anyone else viewing their xvid tv rips in this fasion? or does anyone have any recommendations as to what the best hookup and tv would be?

I would like to use an EDTV the 8UK model out. I realize its 480p as its max resolution but also understand from 8' + away the hd feeds look fine and the SD viewing is also good. I am wondering how my laptop to this panny plasma monitor via VGA would look? and if I could manage full screen etc..? what do you think?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are. After searching this forum looking for users that have a LCD/Plasma connected to a PC, it seems no one tech comes out on top. The people prefer whatever they want. I would say it's dead even actually between plasma/LCD. So I narrowed my searches to success stories. I'm now considering the Westy LVM-37W1 as my new panel, because it's LCD and loads of inputs. And with my 7-8' viewing distance, it seems just the right size. I think an HD plasma would provide the screen door effect for my living room. Although I am still thinking of an ED plasma, man this is tough.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think that, with the considerable compression involved, a lower native resolution is going to look nicer. So, the 480p plasma will probably work out better for Xvid/DivX encoded video from a PC simply because higher res screens will display more artifacts and inherent crappiness associated with highly compressed video.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats my thining exactly jmichaelf! if the edtv's do just as good if not better with SD broadcasts the same should basically hold true here.

sqwerty - i just can't handle the picture of the LCD flat screens. too washed out for me. we will also be hooking up a nice progressive scan dvd to use as well. I am 99% set on this beautiful commercial 8uk panny. I just really hope to hear from more people watching their xvid stuff on a plasma display...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The more I read about the Westy 37" LCD, the more I want to get one. Considering it's for PC more than TV/DVD/Everything else, Text has to be sharp, and burn-in not a problem. So I land on the inexpensive (reasonably) Westy LCD. Consider these posts:

"1080P Panel Wars Ep. II: Westinghouse LVM-37w1" page 42. (Wouldn't let me post links until 5 posts :( )

In addition to the LCD, I can goto Best Buy and physically see it before I buy. Who knows, I might not like it one bit and walk out empty handed. But considering I have never watched TV on a LCD or plasma, I think it will be a vast improvement over my current 36" CRT, not to mention an improvement over my 15: LCD PC monitor. Starting to get excited....

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the specs, does the Sceptre 37inch 1080P LCD TV(X37SV-Naga) hold a candle to the Westy 37" LCD as a display monitor, especially if you want to view .avi XVID media and other PC stuff.

thread: 551970 (couldnt post url)

Which of the two would you go with?

X37SV-Naga LCD/TV

37" viewable wide color LCD TV

Super MVA technology - ultra wide

viewing angle

Aspect Ratio 16:9 Wide Screen

Brightness 600 cd/m2

Contrast ratio 1000:1

Pixel Pitch (mm): 0.4275 X 0.4275

Resolution 1920 x 1080i

Response Time 8 ms (Tr/Tf ms)

Viewing Angle 170 L/R, 170 u/d

Inputs

Enhanced HDTV HDMI & DVI port

HD Component (Y, Pb, Pr) & Audio (R/L) X 1

S-Video 4-pin DIN & Audio (R/L) X 2

Composite RCA A/V & Audio (R/L) x 2

VGA 15-pin D-Sub x 1

PC Audio in

Outputs

Audio Out (RCA Jack)

Sub-Woofer output

Audio functions

Removable speaker 10w + 10w (stereo)

Subwoofer

Surround sound

Audio output Control Functions

PIP - picture in picture window, size enlargeable

TV / CATV channel

Channel return

Picture setting / Sound setting / Clock

Compatibility Signals

Color System NTSC(US)/PAL/SECAM

Video System : PC / Mac,

VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA/WXGA

PC Input Max resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

Built-in NTSC Tuner & ATSC tuner

HDTV 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 480p, 480i

(ATSC + NTSC)

Regulation

UL/ CUL, VCCI, CB, FCC Class B

Power

Power Input : 100-240V, 2.4A, 50-60 Hz

180 W Power consumption

Size & Weight

Dimensions :

w/ stand: 44.5â€W x 10â€D x 27"H

w/o stand: 44.5"W x 5.5"D x 23.5"H

w/o speakers & stand: 37.5â€W x 5.5â€D x 23.5â€H

Weight : 62lbs (w/stand) / 57lbs (w/o stand)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I watch xvid's all the time on my panny pa25 edtv, i have a htpc and 2 standalone players that play xvid.......a philips dvp642 and a cyberhome dvr1600mu.

You cant ecpect dvd quality but close, as there are no set guidelines as to bitrate and things like qpel, quality differs from who made it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
easily your best bet right now is the westy 37 inch LCD..its more monitor than HDTV and is perfect for what you are talking about. I watch ripped movies on mine all the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Sceptre 30" LCD being fed by my NVIDA output from my mini tower. I'm using S-Video out from the video card. The picture quality depends on the avi/divx recorded quality. Some of my movies are dvd quality and some are barely watchable. I used to have a 27" viewsonic LCD which I used as my main monitor. The card output at the native resolution of the LCD. Man was that a cool experience. Now I'm back to using my 20" crt for my monitor and the LCD is my main bedroom tv. I think you'll be happy with either a pdp or lcd display. You just have to make sure the computers video card/software will output to the resolution of the tv. I'm getting the 42" Vizio PDP for my living room in a couple of weeks. I'll be streaming my avi/xvid/divx from the pc, through my network to my kenwood a/v receiver. It plays divx/xvid/avi through its server software thats loaded on the pc. Hope my ramblings have helped some.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have an LCD TV, but I do Xvid rips and play them on a regular TV thru composite. I plan on upgrading to a LCD soon though.

I would recommend just like Doc, that the 37" Westy is a good idea. I found that the better the display and connection, the better my Xvid rips look. These are what I have viewed Xvid content on: 1280x1024 LCD Monitor, my 1280x1024 CRT Monitor, HDTV CRT connected composite, and a SDTV connected composite. Easily the best to my eyes is the LCD monitor, because it was the best display out of the bunch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.