AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using an HTPC (XP MCE 2005) with a plasma screen. Obviously one of the things I'm concerned about is IR/Burn in caused by static elements of the windows desktop. I'm looking for advice on OS tweaks and/or 3rd party software to make the desktop as plasma friendly as can be.

Here's what I've done currently:

- removed all desktop icons

- removed wallpaper and set the background to a solid color.

- Set taskbar to autohide.

Unfortunately I even when the taskbar is hidden, there is a few pixel high lip that is still showing at the bottom of the screen to indicate that the taskbar is still down there but hidden. Does anyone know of a tweak to remove that lip so that the taskbar is 100% hidden.

Any other plasma friendly tweaks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new Samsung PN50A550 with about 300 hours on it. It's true that permanent burn in is pretty rare nowadays, but image retention still happens. If I run the desktop for 30 minutes + there will be IR from the taskbar. I know IR goes away, but still I'd rather prevent it as much as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you can stand the task bar at the top of the screen I've found this helps. I've also found that setting the plasma display to a lower brightness setting helps. I have a preset called "cinema" that does this. You can also have a wallpaper changing software change the background frequently and set the screen saver to come on after a short period of time. Use blank or something that has no static elements. I like starfield. Many plasma displays have power management features and so you can set the power management to turn off the display after a short period inactivity. Still, nothing you can do will completly prevent IR.

What is needed is a background image and window theme that is not static but changes is some subtle way. Perhaps an oscillating gradient of some kind. I have not yet found anything like that.

Another idea is a (configurable) sweeper program that would periodically sweep a white horizontal bar across the screen. It would not be that intrusive for normal desktop operations and would be disabled for full screen activities. My panny ph509uk has the ability to do this but it is strictly a manual operation.

-Mark

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie /forum/post/14205924

how old is your plasma?

burn in is largely a thing of the past.

What? Completely false. Plasma has burn in, image retention, whatever you want to call it...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie /forum/post/14205924

how old is your plasma?

burn in is largely a thing of the past.

Totally false. Burn in is still a major problem with plasmas.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauger /forum/post/14204942

I'm looking for advice on OS tweaks and/or 3rd party software to make the desktop as plasma friendly as can be.

The best way to slow down burn in is to lower contrast/white level when using the desktop.

My Pioneer plasma has a power saving mode that greatly dims the image, and an RS232 port for commands. Using Girder, I send a command to activate the low power mode as soon as Windows boots. Then if I'm using the desktop, I'm pretty safe from burn in for short periods.

For playing discs, I have a button on my remote that activates full power (torch mode) through the RS232 port, loads Zoom Player, etc.

Then I have another burn that quits Zoom Player and also sends the plasma back into low power mode.

This way discs are played properly with minimal hassle while protecting burn in from the desktop when I'm doing something else.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine /forum/post/14206764

What is needed is a background image and window theme that is not static but changes is some subtle way. Perhaps an oscillating gradient of some kind. I have not yet found anything like that.

Another idea is a (configurable) sweeper program that would periodically sweep a white horizontal bar across the screen.

Exactly! I was hoping someone would know of such a theme replacement or set of utils. I've done some searching but haven't found anything like that yet myself. I'm surprised there isn't something out there since the HTPC community if full of enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14208534

The best way to slow down burn in is to lower contrast/white level when using the desktop.

My Pioneer plasma has a power saving mode that greatly dims the image, and an RS232 port for commands. Using Girder, I send a command to activate the low power mode as soon as Windows boots. Then if I'm using the desktop, I'm pretty safe from burn in for short periods.

For playing discs, I have a button on my remote that activates full power (torch mode) through the RS232 port, loads Zoom Player, etc.

Then I have another burn that quits Zoom Player and also sends the plasma back into low power mode.

This way discs are played properly with minimal hassle while protecting burn in from the desktop when I'm doing something else.

Interesting solution. I'll have to see if my TV is capable of receiving commands externally.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I been running my plasma as cpu display for over a year now. No ill effects seen. I do get image retention but no image burn in.

I use a gray desktop (matches the gray bars) and a program called TaskBar Activate v2.4 on XP which hides the line caused by autohide at the bottom.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHorn /forum/post/14208903

I use a gray desktop (matches the gray bars) and a program called TaskBar Activate v2.4 on XP which hides the line caused by autohide at the bottom.

That works. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
in case your interested, I noticed the TV tuner card I will likely buy has a feature that displays live TV as your desktop

if you had a good full screen channel without a bad logo it would probably work great

not sure if you'll be able to zoom the video or not to be extra safe, but I'll report back once I finally get everything set up

just waiting for a g45 MB first

·
Registered
724 Posts
Doesn't Vista Ultimate have a free add-on called "Dreamscene" which lets you use a video file as an animated wallpaper? i believe so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts