AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never mind... after reading more about the S2's gamma I've decided to buy something else.

Hello.

I hope I can get some help with this because I'm about to buy a new plasma but need some answers before I open my wallet

I want to buy a Panasonic plasma (I know about the black level 'issue' but don't really care about it too much... It's going to be considerably darker than my 32" sharp LCD
), but there are some things that bother me.

I was set on buying a 42" S1, but thought it would be a good idea to wait and buy the 2010 model (S2) after reading some reviews, etc. Now that D-Nice has posted the S2's calibration report I see that he could get gamma up to 1.9, while many posters at the official S1 thread have posted calibration files showing higher gammas (2.1-2.3, if I recall correctly).

The question is about the effect of the lower gamma on the picture. D-Nice told me that there isn't a standard gamma for flat panels, but I'm afraid that with a gamma that low, the image will look washed out/less contrasty than it should, even with the S2's blacker blacks.

So what should I do? Buy a 42" S1 or S2?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

By the way, I think this is the right place to post this, as it's more about gamma and the ability to get a proper calibration than plasmas in general.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts