AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the four months I've been following plasma press releases and posts concerning the advancement of the medium, it seems the field has gained great momentum. Since so many of the forum members have great knowledge and willingness to assist other plasma owners I thought I would post some observations and seek some answers.

Investment analysts have recently been pointing to plasma display devices and specialty chip makers in that area as one of the most promising areas of growth in the near future.

The Computer and TV display device field has been seeking an area of wide acceptance by the market as a new profit area. RPTV's are great and I have owned them myself but space is a factor that must be considered in the selection process. Projectors produce outstanding results but price and ambient light are considerations. CRT's the size of plasmas are big, heavy and almost nonexistent.

The price of plasma displays has apparently been cut in half in the last nine months while the quality has improved and the competition has grown. Dell has been successful with computers because of their ability to reduce their costs of goods sold and now they are leaping into plasma display devices. Why the sudden interest by Dell and the great 20% and more discounts? Are they gaining market share while looking to a more profitable area than computers at this time?

The family and friends acceptance and "wow" factor of the plasma is incredible. Seeing a 3" thick display device providing such a great picture causes "jaw drops".

All of us owners of plasma are probably considered early adaptors but what's next? My wife is already talking of moving the 42" plasma into the bedroom and a larger plasma into the living room. (we've only had it since 8/23) So where is the next price point? Will the first quarter of 2002 provide 50"+ displays under $7000 and 42" under $4000? In January of this year would you have predicted that a Panasonic 42" plasma could be delivered to your for under $5000? So what's around the corner?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I hate teasing, but I just have to.

The dealer cost for a very popular 50" display is now $4700.

Ain't I a stinker?

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Iceman,

I've heard that in Europe, Plasma displays are programmed to drop significantly in price this winter or early spring. Could my source be wrong? ;)

Still saving up for that 50" Fuji...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cant confirm if they'll lower in price but they very well should from what the prices I saw last month in England. On average the pricing was 1BP to 1USD. Seeing a 42" that was 10,000 pounds or even a 50" that was 13,000 pounds was unbelievable. They had a couple 32" ones for 6,000 pounds too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.