AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been haunting the fp threads for a long time now. The AVS RS2 clearance sale has prompted me to consider action. But, I don't know if this is the right projector for me. I am a CR freak. My older 50" panny plasma in my HT doesn't cut it next to a new panny plasma I just got for my family room. 50" doesn't cut it anymore either. However, I'm width-contrained and probably can't go past 88" (but that's a lot bigger than 50" anyhow).

I'll have a throw of about 12 or 13 feet with a rear wall shelf mount. I'll be shooting into a 5' deep alcove that's white now, but will be painted flat black when I get an fp. Back wall is white now but would be curtained or painted darker (not black). I'd probably be looking at an 88" 1.78:1 screen when I consider bezel width so as to not crowd my axiom front speakers too far into the corners. Light control will be excellent. I plan on blackout roller shades for two basement windows that are very narrow.

I was originally thinking of a HW10 with a Carada Classic Cinema white screen, but with this RS2 sale going on I'm thinking RS2 now. I called for the price, and it's a very good price. Given a smallish screen size (compared to many folks here), will I be happy with an RS2 on 88 inches? If I ever move to a larger house where I got more room, I may get 100", but never more than that. I want deep blacks, even if it means a little less lumens. I realize the RS2 has a bit less lumens that the other models. I want a film-like presentation - no TV, no sports - strictly DVD and BD movies.

I'll post some pics of my HT floor layout later today.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dan,

I know you said you were a contrast fanatic, but if you are a die hard plasma fan the biggest difference (besides the size) for me is the brightness and snap of a plasma compared to the relatively dim (if properly calibrated) image on a front pj. I would look at super-bright, high contrast DLPs (which mostly are super expensive as most are 3 chip), alternately, you might look into the INFocus IN83 or wait for the new BenQ 6000 (2500lumen, 50K:1 advertised), I'm personally not a die hard DLP fan but it sounds like it might fit your bill.

View everything you possibly can before you buy...

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16920704

You could consider the RS2 with a High Power screen too.

While not quite at Pioneer Kuro plasma PQ, my Pioneer FPJ1 (RS2 clone) puts out a great picture that looks as good or better than a lot of plasma and other RPTVs that I've seen. It's in a bat-cave setting and projecting on a 16:9 DaLite HiPower that's 9' wide (@124" diag). I think the blacks and shadow detail are excellent even with the 2.8x gain. The HP is a great screen.

An RS2 should look very bright on a HiPower that's only 88-100". At that size, a DLP may be overkill and costly.

After you narrow down your chocies, try to find AVS members in your area to have a look. Most are more than willing to show off their setups.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/16920361

I've been haunting the fp threads for a long time now. The AVS RS2 clearance sale has prompted me to consider action. But, I don't know if this is the right projector for me. I am a CR freak. My older 50" panny plasma in my HT doesn't cut it next to a new panny plasma I just got for my family room. 50" doesn't cut it anymore either. However, I'm width-contrained and probably can't go past 88" (but that's a lot bigger than 50" anyhow).

I'll have a throw of about 12 or 13 feet with a rear wall shelf mount. I'll be shooting into a 5' deep alcove that's white now, but will be painted flat black when I get an fp. Back wall is white now but would be curtained or painted darker (not black). I'd probably be looking at an 88" 1.78:1 screen when I consider bezel width so as to not crowd my axiom front speakers too far into the corners. Light control will be excellent. I plan on blackout roller shades for two basement windows that are very narrow.

I was originally thinking of a HW10 with a Carada Classic Cinema white screen, but with this RS2 sale going on I'm thinking RS2 now. I called for the price, and it's a very good price. Given a smallish screen size (compared to many folks here), will I be happy with an RS2 on 88 inches? If I ever move to a larger house where I got more room, I may get 100", but never more than that. I want deep blacks, even if it means a little less lumens. I realize the RS2 has a bit less lumens that the other models. I want a film-like presentation - no TV, no sports - strictly DVD and BD movies.

I'll post some pics of my HT floor layout later today.

Only if the price difference between the B Stock RS2 and a new RS20 were in the thousands would I recommend going for the deal. The RS20 was released at a lower MSRP than the RS2. Because of that, new and used RS2s have never been much of a bargain compared to new RS20s, even though the RS2 was discontinued. So, the big question is: how much do you save because the RS2s are B stock. If the savings over a new RS20 are in the thousands, then I would say consider it, but if the savings are not even a thousand, then I don't think it's a good enough deal over a new RS20. Get AV Science's current price on a new RS20, if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Dan P.,

I would highly suggest the RS2 with an HP Dalite screen as stevenjw suggested.

I gave up on the front projection route a year ago when I saw my friend setup. It was an Epson 1080UB and he had an Elitescreen 1.1 gain. While it looked nice the black levels and dark scenes just looked muddy to me after viewing on the Pioneer Kuro 6020 that I owned at the time. Earlier this year I got the bug again and got to see an RS20 setup. And while it didn't have the ANSI contrast of the Kuro it had excellent black levels and with clearance sales on the Pioneer FPJ1(ala RS2) I made a purchase.

I originally purchased an Elitescreen 1.1 gain and loved it. Since then I tried a sample of an HP Dalite screen and ordered a 106" Model C pull down for very cheap and absolutely love it! The HP screen will give you a brightness level more like plasma and w/o a doubt it will look more plasma like than a typical non gain screen. The HP will need mounted closer to eye level (though I prefer mine several feet above my head) and you do have to be in the viewing cone for best results but I can tell you that in my setup with 4 seats from ~10ft away all seat have a boost in brightness. The HP will not suffer from hot spotting like other gain screens will either.

The Kuro did have a better picture but my setup was close enough at 106" that I've never regretted making the switch yet once. And this is coming from a guy who said not to FP not all that long ago.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,277 Posts
If the B-stocks are an equal or lower price than the closeout Pioneers, then I'm pretty sure the RS20s are close to double their price. If you're talking to AVS about the B-stock, might as well ask about a new RS20.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Dan P,

Well first you must set your expectations as a front projection system available today will never come close to the brightness, contrast ratio, black levels, and perceivable sharpness (due to size and seating distance from a 50" screen) as your 50" plasma. I have seen the new JVC on about a 90" screen in a light controlled room and it was very nice but no where near what you see on a 50" plasma. Of course the sheer cinematic impact of a large screen is more than worth the sacrifice in picture quality I see in a small plasma. Of course 88" is not cinematic to me but it is certainly better than 50 or 60"

Now, if you want the best CR and black levels there is no doubt that the JVCs are your only choice and given your screen size you will still get a good punchy picture on a good neutral 1.0 gain screen. Based on what you have told us I don't think I would go with a HP screen as it will sacrifice black levels and you will have plenty of lumens for an 88" screen assuming you will only watch movies in a light controlled environment.

As far as which JVC, my advise to you is buy the best you can comfortably afford as you will always wonder what you could have had if you go cheap. If you are the type that is very value oriented then the RS2 deal may very well be your best deal at a relatively small cost in performance.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Congrats on your choice. I am sure you will be happy. I hope I will be as well - I went with the RS2 B unit (not received yet).

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit.

What I would say if I was going for the RS20 is to wait for a little bit. The new line is just introduced and I would expect the RS20 to go down in price and maybe you rather have the new units.... You always run the risk of the product running out, but I would wait.

Now I got the RS2 so the deal wasn't getting any better

·
Registered
6,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/16994419

Thanks for your feedback. After considering it some more, I'm going to probably get an RS20 instead, mostly because of the better black levels and internal CMS.

Like mhdiab said, JVC will be releasing new models as early as next month. HD550, HD 950, and HD990. No one knows exactly how much better these models will be but thus far it seems these are not replacements but additional units. The new models add frame interpolation and the 990 has a higher CR but not much of anything else is known at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts