AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plasma televisions are an excellent choice for consumers willing to pay a premium according to recent white paper from research firm IDC. The firm based its conclusion on laboratory testing conducted by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) in June and July of this year.

In a study paid for by Pioneer Electronics, research firm IDC, in......................

Article Here!

Dave

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Does Pioneer make LCD's?

I agree with them but when studies are funded by corporations, many times they are biased.

(Mod deleted OT remarks)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Please, you cannot take research results at face value without first considering who paid for the research. It doesn't matter how "respected" the research group is.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think what's more important would be to figure out if the units they tested are a good representation of their technology.

That Eric guy said about the units they used for their testing:

"all TVs were top brand and top quality from the manufacturers that you'd expect would be present in a test like this"

And I'm glad to hear that the burn-in issue on top-brand Plasmas isn't an issue, but is that true for any Plasma? Knowing this, can I just go to store X and grab the cheapest Plasma and expect the burn-in damage to be fully reversible?

-eric

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Who cares what a Pioneer-funded research group says.

Pop in your favorite DVD, check out HD and SD, and buy what looks best to you.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
Who cares what a Pioneer-funded research group says.

Pop in your favorite DVD, check out HD and SD, and buy what looks best to you.
Agreed! And I agree with the group, but the "group" should find other funding.

That way, it would be more L'git.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
People should chill on this.

Here's a real brain stretcher:

Pioneer knows full well plasma technology provides a better viewing experience, knows full well the industry suffers from plasma myths, finds a reputable organization to test for what they already know.

EXACTLY HOW IS THIS BIASED?

Apparently because what they already knew to be true turned out to be so.

Also apparently some knees jerk no matter what the stimulus.

My $.02

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
What about CRT and LCoS?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
typical marketing jargon. I guess some people cant tell the difference between a set up marketing ploy and a legit experiment between two technologies. Plus, you cant just rival one set of each technology to get a reputable verdict. this is dumb in every sense of the word. Im not dogging plasma or pioneer, but they must think digital buyers are idiots. They might as well form a merger with best buy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I own all of these technologies and in my humble opinion, for the broad range of viewing experiences, I concur wholeheartedly. :cool:

*edit* I wasn't actually claiming to own these technologies - just displays that utilize these technologies. ;)

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donotremove
Please, you cannot take research results at face value without first considering who paid for the research. It doesn't matter how "respected" the research group is.
And who do YOU think should pay for the research. Why don't YOU pay for it. It would have been biased if Pioneer did the research themselves. I guess you don't understand who actually pays for most studies, researches, etc. Here's the answer: THE PRIVATE SECTOR (i.e Corporations). Take a look in your local grocery store (low carb diets, fat free this and that).

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2
Agreed! And I agree with the group, but the "group" should find other funding.

That way, it would be more L'git.
Like I said to one other...WHO should fund it? People on this forum blast Consumer Reports for naming Sony plasmas #1 and they are a non-profit organization. Would it be ok if the tools at CNet or Panasonic did the study? Why don't you fund a study?

Really guys, I've heard that AVS members are anal, bitchy, moody, and like to confront everything, but this is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
279 Posts
And, you can't count on Consumer Reports being unbiased. I recall when they blasted the corvette for having too much power, no trunk, and only two seats. There are no unbiased reviews. The reviewers don't live in a vacuum.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
When was the last time manufacturer X paid an independent company to review its product, technology, or service against the competition and that company blasted company X? I'd be curious.

BTW, does the plasma industry so fragile they actually need a paid-for campaign like this? No laurels to rest upon?

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
When was the last time manufacturer X paid an independent company to review its product, technology, or service against the competition and that company blasted company X? I'd be curious.

BTW, does the plasma industry so fragile they actually need a paid-for campaign like this? No laurels to rest upon?
Cnet. Pick any review they have done.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
So, you are saying that any review they have done is a) paid for by the product manufacture, and b) is negative? WOW!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
So, you are saying that any review they have done is a) paid for by the product manufacture, and b) is negative? WOW!
Regardless of who paid for the study, ISF performed the testing and subsequently arrived the conclusion that plasma was superior to LCD and DLP.

I doubt very seriously that the research firm (IDC) instructed ISF on how to conduct the evaluations and what conclusions they should arrive at.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Quote:

How do you think they get paid? It ain't the magazines nor the website. Every single review they have done has had something negative in it. Why do you think none of the products they have reviewed has seen a perfect 10? If you can't trust the IDC or ISF for doing the study, although Pioneer paid for it, who can you trust?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.