AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read this article? Near the bottom of the article is a link to a 16 page white paper by IFS comparing the three technologies. I'm a fan of Samsung's DLP'S but IFS seems to think DLP is the poorest of the lot.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/ind...=561&Itemid=51

From most of the 'expert' reviews I've read, such as on CNET, DLP seems to have a slight edge on LCD rear projection TV's and both lag a bit behind plasma in terms of picture quality but this article seems to suggest that DLP is far behind LCD in terms of PQ. I'm a little suspect with the conclusions since Pioneer paid for the research but it does make me wonder. What do you think?

Michael

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbrown
Has anyone read this article? Near the bottom of the article is a link to a 16 page white paper by IFS comparing the three technologies. I'm a fan of Samsung's DLP'S but IFS seems to think DLP is the poorest of the lot.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/ind...=561&Itemid=51

From most of the 'expert' reviews I've read, such as on CNET, DLP seems to have a slight edge on LCD rear projection TV's and both lag a bit behind plasma in terms of picture quality but this article seems to suggest that DLP is far behind LCD in terms of PQ. I'm a little suspect with the conclusions since Pioneer paid for the research but it does make me wonder. What do you think?

Michael
"In a study paid for by Pioneer Electronics". Pioneer makes Plasma TVs.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't think that article put out anything we already didn't know. Plasmas have always been known to have superior picture quality compared to LCD and DLP's. When comparing dollar per diagonal inch though they are just too expensive for some of us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize that plasma has better picture quality but what I'm surprised about is that flat panel LCD's had so much better results compared to DLP's. That doesn't seem to jive with other reports that I've seen.

Michael

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think plasmas have the best PQ too, but even to me that report seems biased and suspect. Besides being sponsored by Pio, the report linked from that article doesn't even bother to identify the brands and models tested. The report itself doesn't say DLP, it compares Plasma PDPs, flat-panel LCDs and microdisplay RPTVs. I'm surprised the ISF participated in it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That is a real good question. Were they talking about LCD rear projection or LCD thin panel displays (I hate the term flat panel, what non-directview hd set doesn't have a flat panel?)? If they were talking about the the thin LCD's this is once again old news. If the were talking about LCD rear projection that is subject to much debate. There was one review in a home theater magazine between DLP and LCD rear projection and DLP came ahead by a few points. The only reason I didn't like the comparison was because they supposedly picked top of the line from each technology and I don' think Hitachi is a higher brand than Sony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.