Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been using my Fujitsu VHA30 for the past week and enjoying it plenty. I know this sounds silly so do bear with my question. Read through the manual and it says ideal operating temperature for the unit should be between 0-40 degrees celsius. i tried entering the menu (by holding the key for about 5 secs) and noticed the temperature on my panel going up to as high as 58 degrees at times. is it normal or is there something wrong with the internal fan? The curren temperature indoors at my place ranges from 24-32 at the moment for what its worth. :confused:

·
Read the FAQ!
36,438 Posts
I believe what the manual is talking about as "operating temperature" is the proper ambient temperature limits when the unit is in operation (as opposed to in storage), i.e., the temperature of the room in which you are using the plasma when it is turned on, not the internal temperature near the electronics and display element which, of course, will normally be higher than that.

--Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bob, thanks for the cool words of comfort. out of curiosity, how high a temperature can the internal electronics tolerate or does this not bother most one iota? reason am asking is because i wall-mount my unit in a year-round summer climate.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,438 Posts
What makes for a safe internal temperature depends upon the design, and the specific electronic components used. There's no one answer. The display element itself generates a lot of heat -- about 500 watts in many plasmas (think eight 60 watt light bulbs) -- but the unit has a LOT of surface area, front and back, to dissipate that heat and more sensitive electronics can be put near the buttom (below most of the heat) or near the maximum airflow generated by the fans.

Better plasmas have a thermal cutout which will shut the display down if the internal temperature gets beyond a safe range -- such as if the fans fail -- before the display and electronics get fried.

The key is to follow the manufacturer's installation recommendations regarding the proper minimum air-gap between the plasma and the wall behind it (your wall mount hardware will take care of that one) and between the plasma and any obstructions around it that might trap hot air near the plasma.

It also helps if you don't hang curtains, blankets, or laundry on your plasma, or place it right over the heat flow from something like a wood or gas stove.

If you do that, any room you are comfortable sitting in while watching the plasma will also be cool enough for the plasma to operate within design limits.

--Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.