AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering swapping out a new RPLCD set for a plasma set while I am still in the 30-day return window. I am considering the 42" Panasonic ED set or possible the 42" HD model if the rumored price drops materialize and the price falls enough. I do have a couple questions. How hot do plasma sets become? Do they become uncomfortable to the touch or hot enough to affect the room temperature? Also, I would be mounting the set on its pedestal stand. Given how thin they are, it seems like the set could have a high center of gravity. Do they need to be secured to something, or would it be fairly stable on its stand? Thanks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisod
I am considering swapping out a new RPLCD set for a plasma set while I am still in the 30-day return window. I am considering the 42" Panasonic ED set or possible the 42" HD model if the rumored price drops materialize and the price falls enough. I do have a couple questions. How hot do plasma sets become? Do they become uncomfortable to the touch or hot enough to affect the room temperature? Also, I would be mounting the set on its pedestal stand. Given how thin they are, it seems like the set could have a high center of gravity. Do they need to be secured to something, or would it be fairly stable on its stand? Thanks.
barely warm , at least the panasonics. And they are pretty sturdy, suprisingly enough, on the stand. If you were to punch the front of my tv, you would problaby break the glass before you would knock it over. You would probably have to reallllllllllly run into the table its on in order to knock it over. The stand itself is very heavy to hold it down.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisod

I've had the Panny PX50U for about two weeks now and am happy to say that at least with this unit heat is not an issue. Even after several hours of viewing it's barely warm to the touch. As far as stability goes I'm using provided stand and it's quite durable , you would really have to try and knock it over.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My panny plasma runs much cooler than my Yamaha receiver, and I concur that the stand is extremely stable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Agreed. On weekends, it's common for me to run my Panny 50PX50U for 8+ hours straight. Even then, the back of the panel is barely warm to the touch. Quite amazing really. I expected plasma in general to get a lot hotter, since it draws about 250-300 watts (on average).

The matching stands is also solid as a rock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Speaking of power, do they draw enough to make a noticible difference in the power bill?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 42 inch plasma and even though the electronics dont create much in the way of heat, the glass radiates a tremendous amount of IR energy that when ever it hits something converts to heat. If I stand in front of my PDP about 1 foot away from the glass, you can feel the IR hitting you like a woodstove. Also, the TV draws over 500 watts from the line, that all has to go somewhere. I have a small 300 square foot room where the PDP is located and if I close the door it gets pretty uncomfortable in an hour or two. If you are looking for low power, take a look at LCD's they are considerably less power.

Joe

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
In general, the power draw of a plasma TV is typically around 40 to 50% of the number listed in the specifications which is the maxium, not the average. The power consumption of a plasma varies by quite a lot depending on how bright the screen is. I have measured the average power consumption of my Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY as around 140 Watts varying from around 90 Watts for dark scenes and brief bursts to around 240 W for all white scenes of snow.

In general, the Panasonics and Pioneers use the least power. I think the Samsungs and LGs have improved, but I have not seen numbers for the newer models. The off brand Taiwan source plasmas used to run rather hot. If you are going to post numbers about how much power your TV draws, you should measure it with a Kill A Watt or something similiar or an amp meter. Then you would have a valid number to post.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sony XS955 , like the rest heat is not an issue.

I too thought that it would be , but after using it for about a week , I find that it gets not much warmer than my old Sony 32" XBR.

Of course , I`m still breaking it in "constast 50% / brightness 35% / low power on".

( And I gota do this for a 1000 hr`s :eek: )

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pannyjoe3, what model do you have that generates that much heat? Again, even after being on for 8+ hours, my Panny 50PX50U is barely warm to the touch. Heat from IR energy is a complete non-issue. I cannot feel any type of heat when standing directly in front of this panel.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete
Pannyjoe3, what model do you have that generates that much of heat? Again, even after being on for 8+ hours, my Panny 50PX50U is barely warm to the touch. Heat from IR energy is a complete non-issue. I cannot feel any type of heat when standing directly in front of this panel.
Same here, virtually no IR-heat from the screen and the only a small amount of heat from the top row of vent holes on the back panel. After the TV has been on all day, i can lay the tender part of my forearm against the hottest area of vent holes and it's not even uncomfortable. The 32" HD-ready Panny tube TV i had before puts out WAY more heat than my Panny plasma does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyjoe3
I have a 42 inch plasma and even though the electronics dont create much in the way of heat, the glass radiates a tremendous amount of IR energy that when ever it hits something converts to heat. If I stand in front of my PDP about 1 foot away from the glass, you can feel the IR hitting you like a woodstove. Also, the TV draws over 500 watts from the line, that all has to go somewhere. I have a small 300 square foot room where the PDP is located and if I close the door it gets pretty uncomfortable in an hour or two. If you are looking for low power, take a look at LCD's they are considerably less power.

Joe
I've got virtually the same issue with my Dell W4200HD. I was going to start a thread about the heat issue, but seached and found this one first.

I was also going to use the "heat coming from a fireplace" analogy as well. The room I have mine in is also fairly small and it heats up uncomfortably in an hour or two. Touching the vents on the upper-back part of the unit is almost impossible due to the heat.

Can any other Dell owners confirm that this amount of heat is the norm? If that's the case, then I'll probably return it during the 21-day return period. I love the unit, but if the heat is this annoying this quickly (despite the awesomeness of the display), I think it will get old pretty soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My PDP is th eTH42PX25U and like others here say, I dont get much heat out the back but the IR radiation is definately a factor. The glass is not hot to the touch but the light coming out of the front heats up everything it touches. It mentions this in my manual.

Joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks, Joe. Just trying to understand why my 50PX50U, which I presume outputs alot more IR energy than your 42PX25U, does not cause nearly the same amount of heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.