AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can easily type dozens of paragraphs on how to decide on a front screen projector.

I read the stickies here.

But I have

a) no idea how to compare them

b) no idea what source material represents a good test of this or that

c) no idea of what features I need

d) no idea of where to find links to shootout tests.

I would use the plasma with

a) DVD player

b) DCT 6412 PVR/HDTV receiver (cable)

c) external receiver/speakers

This week I was considering buying a plasma, and wandered into a store.

They had an excellent 3 hinge arm with wall mount. I want that. I don't know the manufacturer/model.

Here's the ones they had. Prices are canadian$, sorted by price, MSRP.

Norcent PT 4231 (newer version 4232)

$1999 CDN

42"

852 x 480

brightness: 700 cd/m

in Component: 1

in PC: 1 (Dsub)

Samsung HPR4272

42"

$3999 CDN

in Component: 2

in PC: 1 (15pin)

in HDMI: 1

in RF - ?, Digital Cable Ready (DCR) Tuner

HDTV

Auto Pixel Shift For Burn In Resistance

Fanless Cooling System for Quiet Operation

contrast ratio 10,000:1

brightness 1,300 cd/m²

DNIe processing (apparently a bad thing according to a sticky somewhere)

1366 (H) x 768 (V)

LG DU50PX10

50"

in RGB/DVI: 1

in RF - none

$5999

1366x768

contrast ratio: 1000:1

brightness 1000 cd / m^2 peak

Panasonic TH50PX500

50"

$6499

480i/480p/720p/1080i

in RF - yes, ATSC1/NTSC/QAM

HDTV

1366 x 768

contrast ratio: 3000:1

brightness: ?

Hitachi 55HDM7155

55"

$7499 CDN

480i/480p, 720p, 1080i

in RGB/DVI: 1

in RF - none

HDTV

1366x768

brightness 1000cd/m

contrast ratio 1000:1

Any thoughts on the above, links I should read on them or on the topic of "How To Choose" would be welcome.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Comparison is based , like for projectors, on PQ .

1.In store Comparison is very hard since you do not know what kind of feed the display has...Best thing is to find a place that you know and trust. Then you can play with settings and compare PQ, contrast, SDE (screen door effect) ect...

2. DVD are the most used. But if you are planning to watch alot of SD material, try find somewhere that you can see it before.

3. Features are about the same for all displays. The differences are bigger once you compare commercial model ( ex. Panasonic TH42PAD7UA or 8UK new model) and consumer models . Commercial models don't have tuners, speakers, stand . Will you need any of these ? If yes a consumer model is better suited for you. If not a commercial model will do ( and they are normally cheaper)

4. for shootouts, well almost all that have seen are ver biased....I would really more on the recommendations of users here than on any review sites....

In the list that you provide, if you go with the consumer model, i would go with Panasonics TH50PX500, if you plan on going the commercial way i'd go with the TH50PHT. Panasonic are well known for their very dark blacks that give wonderful results in dark rooms, and i would also look at Pioneers wich are known for their rich colours that give good results in lighted rooms.

One place to look online in Canada is www.evisionplasma.ca they have good prices, located in B.CA and have very good service. There are a couple of places in Toronto too, do a search with the word Canada or Canadian, you'll find a couple of threads on the subject.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I created a mental rule that if it begins with 'P' it's good. (Panasonic, Pioneer)

Then I went to another store, and they sold Philips and Pioneer.

At another store, the Pioneer 50" was pretty (right beside a Pansonic 50").

·
Registered
767 Posts
The choice is really personnal. look at the room you want to use it in first. Figure out the distance you will be sitting, and visit stores and look at the displays at the same distance to see if you can see the SDE, everyone is different. But on average at 8 + feet people stop seeing it, i for one don't see it anymore even at 3 feet.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.