AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you custom installers or other plasma owners. I am trying to install an IR repeater so that I can have my components hidden while still being able to use my remote controls. I purchased a couple of xantech type pieces from Smarthome.com (micro round eye sensor, stick on IR transmitters, etc.) Everything works great...until I turn on the plasma screen! Apparently the plasma pixels emit some light that the IR thinks is a signal and floods the receiver with repeated IR. When it does that no remotes can send signals to any components. I know it's the plasma, because when I cover the sensor with my hand to shield it from the plasma it greatly reduces the repeated stray IR. Any ideas? I'm sure someone has installed this type of system, since not everyone wants their components visibile. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Please read the thread that no-spam posted above. It is exactly on point to your original post.

FYI - The tape trick does not work for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, audioplex makes a line of plasma-proof IRs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get the audioplex plasma-proof micro mount and hook it up to your xantech control block (actually, first to a powered cb-12 and then from there via two wires to your main block, a 789-44 or 791-44. The audioplex comes with a white cap that blends in perfectly with the wall (even an off-white wall). It is "only" $150 (which is cheap compared to the xantech version) and its operation is flawless. I have mine mounted 2 inches below my 503-cmx and it is absolutely impervious to everything except the IR signals from my remote (a TheaterMaster MX-500, also an amazing buy).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.