AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Panasonic Viera 46" 3d HDTV.

I've been playing a lot of NCAA Football 12 by EA Sports.

I've noticed the last couple days the EA Logo and sports bar shadow on the screen while switching input sources. I've tried running the white bar for 15 minutes. I had the Image Wobbling set to automatic before I noticed this and has since switched it to go every 1 minute.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this host. Is this Burn-In or simple IR That will eventually fade.

I've read briefly about a dvd or "slides" that will help, but cannot find anywhere to get said dvd/slides. Is that something I need to use, and if so how/where can I find.

Please help me. I'm freaking out and need help off the ledge.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20767812

...I've noticed the last couple days the EA Logo and sports bar shadow on the screen while switching input sources. I've tried running the white bar for 15 minutes. I had the Image Wobbling set to automatic before I noticed this and has since switched it to go every 1 minute.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this host. Is this Burn-In or simple IR That will eventually fade.

If you're only seeing these ghost images when switching inputs or when you have blank/no signal/no input screen then what you're seeing is harmless residual charge. It should not be visible when you are displaying actual content on the screen. This is normal for phosphor based TVs and is not IR or burn-in.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post16164661

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the discharge you are referring to. I can see my image even when viewing another source. It's really visible on the black screen when I change input, however it is still slightly visible when viewing content from another input source.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20768139

It's not the discharge you are referring to. I can see my image even when viewing another source. It's really visible on the black screen when I change input, however it is still slightly visible when viewing content from another input source.

Try running a blank snowy screen in the vivid mode for several hours, it will help remove the ghosting. If you can't run the antenna input on you model to achieve this, then you can buy calibration DVD's like pixel protector which does the same thing.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The model number is TC-P46ST30. The panasonic website is extremely unhelpful.

The image is persistent when other content is displaying, it's just more visible on a black background. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm worried that if I keep playing NCAA I will ruin my tv. If I haven't already.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20768186

The image is persistent when other content is displaying, it's just more visible on a black background. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm worried that if I keep playing NCAA I will ruin my tv. If I haven't already.

Did you read my last post? I had the same problem with the score ticker on the YES channel. If I don't watch a lot of full screen content afterwards, I engaged a snowy screen for half hour or so and no more ghosting.

Ian

·
Banned
345 Posts
What you are referring to is IR or even Burn-In! Owner's manual says not to display static images for long periods of time. Panasonic will not cover this problem under warranty. If this means not playing games or watching ESPN alot, so be it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20768186

You haven't ruined your TV. You need to run some high contrast material on high brightness/contrast settings for a bit. Then you need to calibrate your set before watching any additional NCAA.

It's IR, it's temporary, and it's fixable. This sometimes happens with new sets within the first 100 hours when they are still on torch mode.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
6 week old VT30 here with IR from the translucent TBS logo going on a week now. Never used on torch mode - THX mode only. Yes, I watch a lot of TBS, but it's not the only thing I watch.

I'm pretty pissed about it at this point. I've owned multiple Panasonic plasmas in the past with no noticeable IR so it seems like Panasonic has somehow taken a step backward in this area with these 2011 displays.

The logo appears to be fading very little so far (if at all) and is still very visible on a bright white background (i.e. several TV commercials).

On top of that, I don't think there's a way to display static/snow on these Panasonics, as it just says "no signal" instead. If someone knows of a way around this, please do share!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley /forum/post/20768353

You haven't ruined your TV. You need to run some high contrast material on high brightness/contrast settings for a bit. Then you need to calibrate your set before watching any additional NCAA.

It's IR, it's temporary, and it's fixable. This sometimes happens with new sets within the first 100 hours when they are still on torch mode.

What kind of high contrast material would you be referring to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20768220

Did you read my last post? I had the same problem with the score ticker on the YES channel. If I don't watch a lot of full screen content afterwards, I engaged a snowy screen for half hour or so and no more ghosting.

Ian

I can't find a way to watch snowy, but do you know of some of the other options for the Pixel Fixing DVD's?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /forum/post/20768529

6 week old VT30 here with IR from the translucent TBS logo going on a week now. Never used on torch mode - THX mode only. Yes, I watch a lot of TBS, but it's not the only thing I watch.

I'm pretty pissed about it at this point. I've owned multiple Panasonic plasmas in the past with no noticeable IR so it seems like Panasonic has somehow taken a step backward in this area with these 2011 displays.

The logo appears to be fading very little so far (if at all) and is still very visible on a bright white background (i.e. several TV commercials).

On top of that, I don't think there's a way to display static/snow on these Panasonics, as it just says "no signal" instead. If someone knows of a way around this, please do share!

I have the same problem on a 55ST30, except it's the D from the Discovery Channel logo. I agree that the 2011 Panasonic plasmas are much more susceptible to this problem. I didn't even watch that much of Discovery, yet it still happened.

It seems to be slowly fading but the greater issue is how easily it can happen.

To the OP: your issue should fade in time. Try to run the snowy screen, or just some regular full screen content. I can't figure out how to get a snowy screen on my ST30 either. You just need to get the Pixel Protector DVD or Blu ray since it has that pattern.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't own NCAA Football 12 but just a note for the future. Most games by EASports now allow you to turn off the static scoreboard in the menu options. I know the last NHL game did.

Check the video options.

Mike

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20769302

I can't find a way to watch snowy, but do you know of some of the other options for the Pixel Fixing DVD's?

Unfortunately the 3D Panny's for whatever reason go to a blank screen when there is no signal. The Disney calibration disc will provide screen patterns that will help remove and prevent IR if you use it regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor.../dp/B0045ASBLG

Ian

·
Registered
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20768278

What you are referring to is IR or even Burn-In! Owner's manual says not to display static images for long periods of time. Panasonic will not cover this problem under warranty. If this means not playing games or watching ESPN alot, so be it.

Your act in getting old

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyram /forum/post/20774769

I went ahead and ordered the Pixel Protector DVD so hopefully that will help. Until then I figure I'll just run the Expendables, or GI Joe on Loop to see if that helps.

You didnt specify if you had a PS3 or an XBOX for your gaming. If you have a PS3 you can give this a shot to try and remove the IR you currently have.. Copy 10 hours worth of music to your PS3 hard drive. Make a playlist playing it all at once. Play that playlist on the PS3. Hit select a few times on the controller to get rid of the name of the song on the bottom left corner. Using the square button switch the music view to the screen saver with all the colors on it that look like you are surfing on waves or whatever. Not the earth screen saver or the all black one. On the TV, hit the FORMAT button on the remote to ZOOM. Turn the volume down, unless you want to listen to it and leave it on all night in VIVID mode with the contrast and brightness settings maxed, check and see if the retention is reduced or gone after that.

I have read numerous posts over the years by gamers saying this is a very effective way to remove IR on plasmas. Its also worth stating that some stubborn IR can take a few months to go away. I use THX mode to game on my Panny and IR has been minimal and goes away quickly. I do not game for 5 hours straight though.

Hope this helps.

Mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.