Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro

Hi, I'm relatively new here but I did want to post my impressions so far on a lot of the TV's I've seen and been shopping for. I wanted to create a central thread to discuss this and maybe it can help others.

I've done a lot of shopping here, online, at the stores and I will compare most of the popular models. Feel free to correct me with specs/pricing/etc. And list any models you want to add.

Plasma & LCDs between $1000-$2000 and 30"-42"

Since I can't post prices I'll start from the top down.

---------------------------------------------------
[LCD] Sharp 37" LC-37D5U

hdtv tuner/card, HDMI, great black levels on sharp tvs. very sharp, higher price premium than most, loses 5" to plasmas, brighter picture and sharper than plasma

[Plasma] Maxent 42" MX-42x3

bigger size but not as bright/ no hdtv tuner/ HDTV looks great, good colors, as good as any plasmas I saw out there... Panasonics notwithstanding.

[Plasma] Panasonic 42" TH-42PWD7UY

Barebones commercial model, probably best picture of all plasmas, however it is more subsceptible to macroblocking with DVD players using the faroudja chip and have to buy expansion ports

[LCD] Westinghouse 37"

$300 less than high
[Plasma] Samsung 42" SP-R4212

EDTV plasma, have to burn it in, but has hdtv tuner, DNIe processing is less than satisfactory, makes pictures grainy/pixelated (can't be turned off). has good color and hard to tell difference between EDTV's and HDTVs on most pictures.

[LCD] Sceptre 37" X37SV-Naga

[LCD] Olevia 37"

$500 less than high
[Plasma] Panasonic 32" TH-37PWD7UY

same as panasonic above. Industrial model but have to buy "expansion ports for options"

[LCD] Philips 32" 32PF7320A

HDtv tuner/cablecard, onscreen tv-guide, ability to upgrade firmware. really bright, more so than the sharp. quirky menus, no universal remote

[LCD] Sharp 32" LC-32D5U

no tvtuner/ best black on LCD so far that i've seen, slightly sharper than philips.

$1000 less than high
[LCD] Maxent 32" MX-32x3

no hdmi, 500 cheaper than philips, has DVI inputs, no hdtuner or cablecard, i would choose the Vizio.

[LCD]Vizio 32" L32

no tuner/cablecard, has HDMI, one of the cheapest deals and good picture according to others here on this forum

[LCD] Sceptre 32" X32SV-Naga

Conclusion

My general take on LCD/PLASMA's, both are good. LCD is brighter. I tried turning up the brightness on plasmas all the way and it still wasn't as bright as LCDs. I was at Costco and standing 40' from LCDS, 10' from Plasmas and you could still tell that LCDs are brighter. Colors and SD tv probably look slightly better on Plasmas, Sharpness has to go to LCDs. Black levels are nicer on Plasma though. Overall it's a wash and both are good. You can decide yourself what you want.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
3 things:

(1) The Panasonic plasma does *not* have a Faroudja chip in it and it's not more subsceptible to macroblocking than other display.

(2) The Samsung plasma does *not* have DCDi (which is Faroudja technique), but it has DNIe, which is a horrible Samsung technique.

(3) LCDs are brighter. But if you take the displays home and maybe turn down the lights when watching TV, you'll even with the plasmas feel the need to turn brightness down quite a lot. E.g. most Panasonic plasma owners here say they're running at half brightness setting, because more brightness hurts the eyes. In bright shop light LCDs look great, but at home you don't need as much brightness as in a shop. At home black level is more important. And that's where LCD is still lacking (although it's getting better).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
(1) The Panasonic plasma does *not* have a Faroudja chip in it and it's not more subsceptible to macroblocking than other display.
OP can clarify, but I read the point to mean that when using source with Faroudja chip Panny's are prone to macroblocking.

From reading in the DVD section, this seems to be true.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
madshi,

You are correct, I should have specified that with DVD players that have the faroudja chip it is more subsceptible. this is well documented in the DVD player forum esp with my panasonic s77 and panasonic plasmas.

I wrote down DCDi wrong... i should've checked. DNIe right?

as for viewing movies you probably don't need that high a contrast. during regular tv it's nice to have a bright display. plasma also generally has better black levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.