AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandmother's boyfriend was over for the holidays and was quite taken with our new Panny plasma. He really wants one as he is a sports FANATIC. He is a very smart man but at 90, he isn't that understanding of electronics and has little interest in learning.

Question is what plasma/lcd could we get for him that would require no fiddling.

For example, my Panny doesn't stay put on justified when you switch channels through a cable box (resolution switch resets to full mode). He would need a model that knows to show just mode in 480i but full mode in 720 or 1080 automatically. LCD would alleviate burn in but he still doesn't want to fiddle.

Anyone have suggestions for models with no tweaking being the number one concern? I think he wants 42" so looks like lcd or plasma is possible.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt /forum/post/0

For example, my Panny doesn't stay put on justified when you switch channels through a cable box (resolution switch resets to full mode). He would need a model that knows to show just mode in 480i but full mode in 720 or 1080 automatically. LCD would alleviate burn in but he still doesn't want to fiddle.

Hmm. My Panasonic TH-42PX600u does exactly that. It remembers the just mode for 480i SD channels, and remembers the full mode for 1080i HD channels. I never had to touch the aspect ratio button ever since I first set it up, after I purchased the TV.

My STB is a SA 8300HD, hooked up with HDMI. It is set to AUTO-HDMI.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in Kansas City on Time Warner using 8300 box on HDMI. Between myself and my immediate family, we own 3 Panny 60u's and none of them remember the aspect ratio when you change a channel in the stb if it changes the resolution. When the resolution changes the Panny has to relock onto the HDMI stream and resets to full aspect mode. If you set the stb to output 1080i only, the aspect on the tv will never change and will be wrong for 480i channels.

I'm not really trying to start a debate on this, I really am looking for a set that is the most fully automated for a 90 year old!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hmm. I don't understand. I also own two Panasonic plasmas: TH-42PX600U and TH-42PWD8UK and both remember the aspect ratios depending on HD or SD channels. Both are hooked up to 8300HD STBs. My 8UK is via component, and the 600U via HDMI.

All resolutions are enabled in the 8300HD (Sara software) and it is set to Auto-Hdmi under "Image format".

When I switch to an SD channel, the STB switches to 480i, and the pannies automatically chose the Just aspect ratio. HD channels are either 1080i or 720p, and pannies switch to Full. I also owned a 26" Panasonic LCD which did the same thing.

I really can't say why you particular sets don't do this. Have you checked, in the 8300HD setup menu (press INFO+GUIDE) that you haven't enabled the 480i Wide format by mistake, instead of the regular one? 480i/p-Wide should NOT be enabled.

Does the TW 8300HD STB use Sara, or Passport software?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8300's in my area use Passport but I will have to check tonight what version. I've heard other people talking abou this and noticed that none of ours works this way.

Will have to check settings tonight when I get home and report back.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My 86 year old Dad, who is also not technologically savy orinterested, recently got a 46" XBR3. I am a huge plasma fan but steered him toward LCD for 2 reasons. One was the ease of the technology (no changing aspect ration in first 100 hours, etc.) The other was the reflective nature of his room. He really loves the set a lot! Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not to keep talking about something that isn't really the thread title... but my 9UK Panny holds the "Just" setting for SD channels with no issues. I think you need to go into the settings on your STB to make sure it doesn't automatically add bars to SD content. I'm using the SA8300HD, and I know I had to read the owners manual and do something to make it work... at this point I just don't remember what I did. The only time I have to change modes is if I'm watching SD content on an HD channel. Then the box still adds the bars and I have to use the "#" key on the STB remote to stretch the picture.

As far as a good TV for someone who's not technically inclined... I think making sure he's not watching a lot of content with bars (and potential burn-in) is about the only consideration.

Heath

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.