AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Newbie to the forum and AVS fan here. I have a project to install an outdoor TV on a brick wall(ugh). What would you guys recommend? Doesn't need to be a high-end, but needs component input and be about 32-40". It will not be in direct sunlight, so it will be in the shade at all times and covered from rain.

/Magnus

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out Sunbrite TV. They make weatherproof outdoor LCD Tv's. I know nothing about them but have seen ads in home catalogs my wife gets. I think you better stick to LCD outside. Seems to me plasma may have some trouble with the light environment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen those, but they're too pricey. The plan is to have them in the shade underneath a patio cover, so not too worried about the light. I think just an EDTV 37" might do it. Going to check out Fry's tonight here in Dallas and see what they have. What good deals are there right now on 37" plasma/LCDs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tweeter/ Sound advice have 37" Sony plasma on clearance during private sale. $2000 off MSRP. Has 100W with subwoofer built in. Also DCR and HD built in. Heavy weight may be an issue at 112lb's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstjern
I've seen those, but they're too pricey. The plan is to have them in the shade underneath a patio cover, so not too worried about the light. I think just an EDTV 37" might do it. Going to check out Fry's tonight here in Dallas and see what they have. What good deals are there right now on 37" plasma/LCDs?
Lighting will be an issue even though it's not direct light. A decent level of ambient light can cause plenty of reflections on a plasma, especially in dark scenes, so expect to sacrifice quite a bit of PQ unless at night. LCD can really cut down on the reflections/glare, and is generally brighter, so would probably work a lot better in your case.

Also, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't put a multi-thousand dollar set out in the elements unprotected. It may not be in direct rain or sunlight, but dust, pollen, etc. are going to get into your display unless you have a weatherproof cover for it. Once dust starts getting into your electronics, it's going to scratch at the chips and eventually cause problems. Expect a much shorter lifespan of your display without a protective cover.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's for sports mostly so not a lot of dark scenes., and I'll build it in to weatherproof it (somehow, need to figure that part out, any suggestions would be appreciated). Thanks for advice on LCD, think that's the way to go as well. Going to check out Fry's tonight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
mstjern,

An ED Plasma that will not break the wallet is the Panny TH-42PD50U, if you want something for outside that would give you great value, it might be worth looking at the is the Panny TH-42PD25U/P (If you can still find them). If you want an industrial model, check out the Panny TH-42PWD7UY.

They will all work really well and with their street prices, it is worth going to 42".

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got lucky and found myself a Samsung SP-P4231 42" for cheap. (Display unit from Sam's). 50% off the amazon price. Also picked up a wall mount at Seers for $150. Now onto the fun part...hanging it up on a brick wall. I would post pictures, and will as soon as I reach the 5 post limit...

Wish me luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.