Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks-

i'm still waiting on the Panasonic TH-37PWD6UY.. i'm getting ready to finally place the order.

then i saw chriswood's post on the onecall clearance specials of the sharp 37" lcds (demo units from ces) - sharp 37" ces demo units

i had been considering the sharps but at a $4k+ price point, it was too much. but the ces demo unit specials were a great deal - and again, i had reconsidered the sharp - that is until the sharps sold out :mad: .

so now i'm reading all these recent threads speculating the price drops of lcds and plasmas and with the recent panny announcement (and every other mfg) of the new line of plasma coming out in the middle of this year, i need some hard numbers to justify pulling the trigger now for my panny. or, do i wait a bit more for the sharp 37" lcds to drop (more importantly, by how much?).

if this hasn't been done already, i'm ready to create a historical price chart of plasmas and lcds so that we as a group can have some real numbers from which to base our trigger-pulling (or impulse :)) decisions.

if you folks can help supply the numbers, i'll put them together and post the result on the forum.

i'm thinking this would be a good basic model - i'll need the following info.

submitted by:

(enter your name, contact info if you like)

[product]

1. plasma or lcd (select one)

2. model number (enter model number)

3. hd or ed (select one)

4. screen size (enter size in inches)

5. manufacturer (enter mfg name)

[pricing]

1. online or b&m (select one)

2. store name (enter name)

3. date of vendor price (enter date)

4. vendor price (enter price)

5. list price/msrp (enter price)

6. rebate? (yes/no)

7. rebate amount (enter amount)

feel free to add any additional metrics and i'll sort them out. watch this post and i'll put a link here for the results.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Prices on electronics rarely fall in a disorderly fashion. Neither category is likely to see prices come down much more or less than 25% this year.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if this is the case with plasmas and lcds then this ought to be added to the faq since many people keep asking the same question - when will the price drop on X? and by how much? and when?

i assume there is not a single 25% drop in price from the previous year. so perhaps a more interesting answer is roughly when and how do the drops occur. then this _could_ be used as a rule of thumb for price drop forecasts, no?

Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Prices on electronics rarely fall in a disorderly fashion. Neither category is likely to see prices come down much more or less than 25% this year.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by somadave
if this is the case with plasmas and lcds then this ought to be added to the faq since many people keep asking the same question - when will the price drop on X? and by how much? and when?

i assume there is not a single 25% drop in price from the previous year. so perhaps a more interesting answer is roughly when and how do the drops occur. then this _could_ be used as a rule of thumb for price drop forecasts, no?
Well, prices ARE dropping - I remember my old PC catalog from 1998. It was about $2500 for a 17-18" LCD monitor. That's when I 1st heard about DVI. ;)

When the model starts showing it's age, then the price for it really drops. In this day & age, one does need the newer models if one wants stay on top of things. But I bet there are also going to be a lot of great deals on refurb or older models as well. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
somadave, there are services on the internet that track prices over time. I just did a quick check on average price and in less than 2 years the 30" sharp has dropped to less than half price. Since april of last year the 37" has gone down about 30%.

However these are based on somewhat inflated 'early adopter' intro prices. see your PM

If you go back to the intro of any screen the prices are crazy and then level off. The panny 37" was over $4500 in '02.

Prices will stabilize somewhere, but I suspect it will be a while before people get trampled at walmart trying to buy a $69 plasma.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.