AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peerless and Chief get mentioned here as mounting manufacturers. Does anyone have any suggestoins, or know of other solutions to motorized lifts?

FWIW, I got quoted about $3,000 for a Chief that descends from a ceiling (not including plasma screen :eek: ) I'm surprised it looks like few undertake hiding their plasma's on the avs forum. Its one of their best features, IMO. I know it wouldn't be the easiest DIY, what with the delicate nature of the screen, etc, but there has to be many ways to do it cheaper than 3 large.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hooker furniture doesn't sell direct, only through retailers.

Are there any recommendations for online furniture stores that offer Hooker products?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since that first post, I can add www.selbyhardware.com and “Vision Art covers†are other alternatives. I haven’t gotten quotes from either of them. I am above a mantel, so furniture that does it is out. See attch pic.

I am all but resigned to do a modified DIY version of the Auton In-Vis-O-Trak product. Searching on that product name also brings up a hit within the avsforum. I haven’t gotten a price on their motorized version, but am convinced that, if its motorized, retail is far above the $1000 I’m am willing to part with.

Ultimately hiding the plasma is the goal. Not actually moving the TV is going to be more economical. More economical than that, but less cool, is something manually operated. I don’t want to bore folks with too many details, but the pic shows my starting point.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7mqua/PlasmaMntl.JPG

-11 inches recess depth

-plenty open space inside upper portion

-space above flu pipe will increase.

Basically, you’ve got to bore out an area above your plasma to use a panel lift, which lifts a picture that is about ten inches higher than your plasma. The picture is only raised enough to expose the plasma, while hiding the mechanicals that raise it. It’s the same idea as executed here:
http://www.audio-corner.com/slidesho...om.asp?slide=1

The picture in that pic hides what is above the box and recessed in the wall allowing it to operate. They often use RF remotes on these and ask upwards of $300 just for the remote, er, I'm sorry, 'controller'!

Simple weights on pulleys, with some source of friction during the travel and a clip at either end are what I’m thinking. The pulley(s) would mount high in the box allowing weights to descend as the picture went up and down on some kind of guides mounted directly to the frame.

Of course, there’s always hanging something in front of the recess.

Sorry for thinking out loud.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mineral, Thanks for the link. This is just what I've been looking for. I want to make my own cabinet (my other hobby) for my Sony and I got quotes from the others and they where all in the close to 3k range. Way to much $$ so I started looking into building my own. Now that I see this link it's back to just concentrating on the cabinet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am in the process of having a custom cabinet designed with an Inca lift. The lift with the swivel option is $5k alone.. I looked at Auton and it is about the same. There does not seem to be any cheap solution when it comes to a lift.

CGM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.